Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard

Help in transferring settings from GEQ to PEQ

malong335malong335 Posts: 18
edited August 2009 in PA Configuration Wizard
Ok - back to the well again. Mains are sounding good and I'm trying to cleanup the monitors this time.

I'm using the DRPA Auto EQ(via indoor method) to get a baseline for the bands monitors - Loudspeakers Plus SL112Ms. I did the Auto Eq and will be transfering the readings into a Behringer(gasp) DSP1100 used as a PEQ. I've read the \"121.7db monitors\" thread as well.

My question is where to start in interpreting the GEQ settings and putting them in the PEQ. I understand gain, freq and Q. Do you just start with the big peaks and then re-run the auto EQ again and again adjusting Freq, Q and gain and adding bands as neccesary? Seems like that could take hours.

BTW - I got about 5db of additional GBF by running the autoeq on them.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    You are correct... and it won't take hours.
    3 or 4 passes at the most. Remember to flatten the GEQ before you start each time.

Good luck.

DRA
  • OK - after about 5 passes, I stopped with the following 3 PEQ filters:
    F1 Freq 400
    Gain -5
    Q 3.41

F2 Freq 2.24
    Gain 4
    Q 5.71

F3 Freq 3.75
    Gain -8.5
    Q 4.41

And got the following in the GEQ after the last run(top and bottom bands omitted for clarity:

200 0.5
    250 1.5
    315 -1.5
    400 0.5
    500 1
    630 -2
    800 4
    1000 -2
    1250 -1.5
    1600 -0.5
    2000 1
    2500 0.5
    3150 1
    4000 -1
    5000 -0.5
    6300 0
    8000 -0.5
    10000 -1.5
    12500 -2

Is this in the ballpark or do I have a lot more work to do?

800hz still has an issue but I only have 3 filters in the DRPA. Now I'm going to transfer the settings to the Behringer since I need the DRPA for the mains.
    You used the indoor method? That 800hz concerns me (surrounded by the -2db on both sides). Maybe a floor resonance? Have you done a regular outdoor session. I find repeatability a problem with the indoor method. Not sure why.
    The good news is that the 800hz should ring up pretty quick...oops :( no AFS with the b'ger (or does it?) How many PEQ's does the B'ger have?

DRA
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    A 4dB boost at 2.24kHz and a -8.5dB cut at 3.75 kHz seems unlikely, and 800Hz is an issue. Where did you position your measurement mic?

Dennis
  • I started with the indoor method, but it sounded too bright on the top end. Then I switched to Gadgets method that he used in the \"121.7db\" post with the mic at head level pointed directly at the monitor. That sounded better, but the best was when I moved the mic down to about 3 feet off of the monitor and it seemed to have the best GBF at about 5db of additional GBF than when flat.

I'm in the city and have not tried the outdoor method.

The b'ger has 12 bands per channel and each one can be PEQ or AFS so if I set 3 PEQs, I still have 9 AFS filters on that channel.

This unfortunately was in my basement with 7.5' ceiling. For some reason(better speakers too) it went much better on my mains in my 2 car garage.
    The reflections you are getting from your monitor shooting directly into your 7.5' ceiling is sending bogus information into your measurement mic/DRPA.

Dennis
  • Yea, sounds like you are right. We have a gig tomorrow night so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I may just put the one PEQ in at 3.75K at a little less gain reduction and see how they sound until I can EQ them again in a better environment. That's definitely in the area that sounds bad too me and feeds back first.

It's been too hot and humid to do this in the garage this week.

Thanks for the help. Any other thoughts?
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Stand the monitor on end like a regular speaker... put it on a carpeted floor. or on a piece of carpet... put the mic aimed mid cab about 6 feet out and use -0- response, and at least \"MED\" precision... look at the product curve and edit any band that looks \"suspicious\"...
    Gadget
    DO NOT worry about getting the PEQ thing right in a short period... you CAN use the PEQ's as a general smoothing tool...Remember to use broad strokes and not precision strikes with the PEQ's...
    G
    Build an aeneoic (?) tent using mic stands and blankets, pillows etc. The bigger the better and as thick as you can make it. Pleated and multi-layered is best.

DRA
  • Great ideas guys!!! Y'all definitely rock :D

The temp & humidity is coming down, so hopefully I go back to the garage next week for round II.
    Our humidity is 75 today :( , but 45 tomorrow :D.

I think I'll enjoy tomorrow 8) .

DRA

Football's a comin'.
    100% here with a tendency toward more rain today...tomorrow... and all next week :roll:
    G
    I think I read someplace about rain....

Dennis
  • Hey guys! I spent some time yesterday out in the garage - great 70 degree afternoon!

My garage is a 2 car with about a 10' ceiling. This is where I did the mains & had great results. I did many passes using the indoor method, 6' & 3' back parallel to floor with a rug on the floor, and 3' above, set as a wedge.

The indoor and 3' set as a wedge were pretty close & sounded the best to me and that's what I based my settings on. What I ended up with was:

F1 Freq 800
    Gain 3
    BW 1/12 octave (the B'ger settings are weird- goes from 1/60 to 120/60)

F2 Freq 2.5
    Gain 4
    BW 1/3 octave

F3 Freq 3.75
    Gain -7
    BW 1/4 octave

This gave me a pretty flat response from about 500-5k and there were small peaks(.5) in a few areas but to me it sounded better with everything else flat. I rang it out with a mic at normal singing position with 5 feedback notches and while I couldn't match Gadget with \"1 foot pointed right at the monitor\", I could sweep the monitor at about 3 feet pointed without any freqs taking off.

They still don't sound as good as the EV ZX5 tops when EQed, but they are fairly cheap wedges. We mainly run vocals, acoustic & a little electric guitar through them. We'll see what happens on Friday - we're outdoors so it will be very different from our usual small club venues.