Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

DriveRack+ config question

LouMillerLouMiller Posts: 19
edited August 2009 in PA Configuration Wizard
I am using 2 mackie HR624's and HRS120 sub in my practice room.
Using the auto wizard I have to specify custom for speakers and amps.
When it gets to auto leveling it will not let me alter the gain for the amps, it is fixed at 50%. Also when choosing the speaker configuration for setup it selects default crossover settings which are not the ones I want to use. So if I change them after auto leveling and eq it kind of defeats the purpose.

So my question is would I just be better off skipping auto level,setting up my crossover settings,do gain structure,then auto eq?

Lou

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    What settings are used by the wixard? What settings do you want to use?

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    When it gets to auto leveling it will not let me alter the gain for the amps, it is fixed at 50%. Also when choosing the speaker configuration for setup it selects default crossover settings which are not the ones I want to use. So if I change them after auto leveling and eq it kind of defeats the purpose.

HUH? That makes no sense... you VARY the output of whichever it tells you to.. as in TURN THE TOPS DOWN...

And as for the Xover setup.. look at it as a starting point... do the setup wizard...exit and set up the xover HPF/LPF and slope you want , then run the auto level...then do the Auto eq if you have the mic..
    Gadget
  • Options
    \"then do the Auto eq if you have the mic.. \" :?:
    Don't you have to use the mic to \"auto-level\"?

I think his concern is that the auto level is in the \"system set-up\" and will default back to the x-over settings that he doesn't want. Or do the settings remain?
    Unless he is doing some pretty major changes, I don't think the auto-level will be affected much.

DRA
  • Options
    Dra
    You are correct. That is what is happening.I ended up doing basic setup 2x3,skipping auto leveling,setting up crossover(which you are also right only minor changes),setting gain structure,then doing auto eq and adjusting xover levels after.

My system does sound sweet now though.

Thought I would mention this limitation when using the custom setting for speakers and amps
  • Options
    I would think the auto level should be a stand alone feature that could be done on a \"venue\" basis. Definately an oversight by DBX. If only they would ask users before making a wholesale \"improvement\" that really isn't, but could be with a minor programming code change.

DRA

PS - With minor changes to the x-over, the auto-level should be just fine as is.
  • Options
    I think the autolevel is an improvement. But it seems like it was developed more with the novice in mind (included in the wizard where most basic settings are made for you). But you're right Dra, it should be a stand alone feature just like auto eq. But with the improvements this unit has made to my system I can't really complain too much.
    Lou
  • Options
    I disagree.. Dra...once the level is set, then there isn't much reason to change it.. I have also found little need to vary the Flat speaker (adjusted to taste) setup on a per venue basis...as long as the mixer is zeroed I can pretty much deal with venue stuff on a per channel basis...

Yes, the Auto level was aimed at novices, and other than trying it out to be familiar with it I do not use it! But there were too many \"newbie\" problems associated with not understanding how to balance the components of their systems...I think it should have included a re-direct to the xover to at least review the settings there...but then for the most part newbies don't have the chops to understand this without some coaching..and or reading...

Gadget
  • Options
    Ahh hah? You disagree, but then come around to our side and admit that there should be recheck after x-over changes. 8)

DRA
  • Options
    agreed :wink: I was trying to indicate I wish they would have made it...
    system setup
    load program
    adjust crossover
    auto level (or manual level balancing in my case)
    auto EQ
    speaker alignment/tuning/positioning
    NOT a big difference of opinion here old friend... perhaps just semantics...

8)
    G