Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

Input Levels

BradWBradW Posts: 3
I see numerous references for gain structure to setting your mixer just below clipping and then adjusting the DR inputs. However, from Page 72 in the DR260 manual it appears that the input gains are part of the DSP, which would seem to indicate that they are after the A/D conversion. Is adjusting the input levels adjusting the analog level prior to A/D or the digital level post A/D? Similarly, do the output levels affect the digital signals pre D/A or the analog signals post D/A?

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    That is not what I see. The input gains, master levels, and input meters are before the DSP (still analog) and the phase, mute, and output meters are after the DSP.

So, it appears that the input is analog and the output (filter gains) are digital.

Gadget????

DRA
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Dra

What information do you have that leads you to believe the inputs are analog....I couldn't find anything in the manual this morning.

Dennis
  • Options
    The diagrams on pg 72 show the inputs, etc going \"to\" the DSP and then the DSP going \"to\" the phase, mutes, etc.

Nothing is said about the convertors though.

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    The diagrams on pg 72 show the inputs, etc going "to" the DSP and then the DSP going "to" the phase, mutes, etc.
    The manual I'm looking at shows the gain, summing, master level and meters all within a shaded box labeled "DSP" that is fed from the outputs outside that box. I interpret that to indicate that everything within the box is in the digital realm. Also not shown at all on the Input or Output diagrams on Page 72 are the internal +14dBu/+22dBu/+30dBu input gain and output gain jumpers or the A/D and D/A converters. This seems to support that what is shown on Page 72, as well as on Pages 4 and 23, is the digital signal path between the A/D and D/A.

I'm trying to help someone with some gain structure issues and what the input and output gains are adjusting is not real clear. Adding to the confusion, the DriveRack 260 Manual states the maximum level for the inputs and outputs are both +20dBu (I asume at the default +14dBu jumper settings) while the data sheet states a maximum input level of "+34dBu with input jumpers in +30 position" and +22 dBu for output maximum level.
  • Options
    I see what you are saying. DSP for the shaded box, yet \"DSP input 1 & 2\" inside the box at the end of the chain. Sometimes \"answers\" only yield more questions.

Try calling tech support.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hang on.. they would have most likely weighed in yesterday but I didn't add a link :oops:
    G
  • Options
    :roll:
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    flip_emoticon_jfo.gif
  • Options
    Hello Everyone,

In the DriveRack 260, the input jumpers allow you to set the gain stage in the analog realm for the inputs. This yields a maximum of +30 dBu input level when set to the +30 dBu jumper setting. The input gains, which are then adjustable from the front panel or DriveWare, are adjusting the input gain in the digital realm - post A/D. The additional 4 dbB of headroom comes from the dbx Type IV conversion system which extends the clip point of the A/D, yeilding a \"+34 dBu\" maximum input level.

Hope this helps.