Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

PA+ in Mono House with monitors

LouMillerLouMiller Posts: 19
edited September 2009 in PA Configuration Wizard
I have a question regarding using the PA+ in a mono house system with one side running the house and the other running the monitors.

I know you can unlink the EQ's and do both sides separately.But is there a way to use different settings on each side for crossover,subharmonic,delay,etc.?It appears to me these other parameters are global for both sides.

If you select Mono input and unlink EQ does it give you two separate mono inputs?

In the original driverack pa tutorial they show an advanced setup using the driverack this way but I could not find any specifics on it.

Lou

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    You need to select dual mono, and stereo but I am having a tough time remembering which order but one way the DRPA won't cive you the "not finished" and you won't see L R in the upper left corner...

Also, If your using tri-amped system on the mains you will be SOL but if your using a biamp mains system simply use the left channel and the Hi and Mid outs and put the monitors on the Lo outs or better yet use the left channel in and the mid on the tops and the mono low left out for the subs for the mains. That gives the monitors 3 PEQ's as well as an auto eq 28 band GEQ from the right input.
    Gadget
  • Options
    I have only started to play with the possibility of using the driverack in this manner.But in the PA+ there is only an option for mono and stereo for input.So am I correct to assume that this is dual mono where I can send my main mono mix to the left input and my monitor mix to the right? Is there a way to have different crossover settings(my monitors would be full range anyway),subharmonic,delay,and feedback suppression or does the unit not allow these features to be split?

Lou
  • Options
    If you consult your manual you will see what modules are separate if you look at the block diagram...As I said, if you select a stereo/dual mono setup you will be able to separate those features that are separate (again...not linked as you see in the block diagram) you CAN separate and auto EQ the two inputs separately...you CAN (once you get a full dual mono setup) separate the various outputs (Hi, Mid , Low) you CANNOT separate the input processor modules (AFS, sub synth, and comp) ( NOTE skip the Sub synth and comps for your apps they are BAD JUJU!!!)

So, you still haven't stated what your mains system is... fullrange? 2 way (tops and subs) three way? If the latter you cannot separate the mains and mono with the PA, or PA plus....IF however you have a t way (tops and subs) then you can separate the mains and monitors... so answer the questions, and give us the information requested in the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING SECTION...
    Gadget
  • Options
    I did not state what my system was because I am trying to decide what speakers to buy.I was thinking about the QSC K series.They are powered speakers.It would be 2 10in. or 12in. for the top mains and 2 subs which have 2 12in. in each sub. I will be using either 2 or 3 or the same speakers I will be using for the mains tops as monitors.However I am open to suggestions to alternatives in the same price range.

I think I am leaning toward just getting another driverack for the monitors.If I understand correctly,If my mains tops are on the left input and my monitors are on the right of the high output,I could auto eq them separately but everything else including AFS and the 3 band parametric would apply to both inputs.At least that is the way it looks to me in the diagram in the manual.Is that correct?

Lou
  • Options
    Well, mostly...but you would send the monitor signal to the right channel, and the mains to the left, with the way it's set up, you would then have the Hi out 3 band PEQ to work with for the monitors plus the 28 band, ( of late, when I use the DRPA for our band practice and small gigs I have let the Auto EQ be the main EQ for the mains and monitors and used the PEQ's for sound shaping...generally a lo/mid/hi... 100, 350, 3.5k with wide Q for problem solving) other than that, yes, the AFS and other things are tied together... the AFS isn't a bad thing though since I set it up to deal with monitor AND mains anyway, and it can dela with the combination of the two. I use the 4800 on monitors and the 260 for FOH mostly though...If your not familiar with the 260, it is really much better suited for the monitors/mains thing and can do both with complete autonomy...(everything is separate, you could run 6 separate speaker systems with one or both inputs driving any or all...) If your only running one monitor send then the 260 would be perfect...better actually than 2 DRPA's...
    G
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Not only is (1) 260 bterr than (2) DRPA (+), it's CHEAPER! :shock:

DRA
  • Options
    I hear ya.But seeing as I just got the PA+ and finances are limited,plus the fact that I would have to trade up or sell the PA+,I'd rather not go through the hassle.I should have just got the 260 to begin with.I may just go with the PX.That would probably keep my cost about the same without selling/trading the PA+. Aside from all this. What do you think about the QSC speakers.Do you have any better suugestions in regards to powered speakers?(tops + subs)around that price range $3500

Lou
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Recently had a QSC rep come to our shop and demo some K10's. I was prepared to hate them but after listening to them, I was impressed.

Dennis
  • Options
    Is there anything out there you like better?
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Yeah, lots of stuff, but not in your budget. Gadget may have some suggestions.

Dennis
  • Options
    Yes, there is, but the money isn't comparable...as Dennis pointed out the K series is well thought of, but if you spend a little more you can enter a different category altogether. 8) There are some options you can go to WITHOUT internal amps...but that wasn't the OP's question...

G
  • Options
    I allready have an idea of speakers gadget recommends.Will peruse these and see if if I can find something in my price range.May repost in general discussion if further assistance needed.

Many thanks,
    Lou
  • Options
    Interesting.. I'm not sure I know what speakers I was going to recommend :roll:
    :wink:
  • Options
    they were recommendations made to others in the old forum.But were out of my budget.