Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack PX
Options

Driverack PX & RCF ART525A tops and RCF ART902AS sub

dj_john24dj_john24 Posts: 6
edited November 2009 in DriveRack PX
How should I set up my Driverack PX?
I have 2 RCF ART525A tops ans a RCF ART902AS sub.

Here are the specs for the RCF ART525A Tops:
Acoustical Specification
Frequency Response -3 dB: 45 Hz ÷ 20 kHz
Max SPL: 131 dB
Horizontal coverage angle: 90°
Vertical coverage angle: 60°
Compression Driver: 2" neo, 2.5" v.c.
Woofer: 15" neo, 3.5" v.c.

Here are the specs for the RCF ART902AS Sub:
Acoustical Specification
Frequency Response -3 dB: 45 Hz ÷ 120 kHz
Max SPL: 130 dB
Woofer: 12", 3" v.c.

Comments

• Options
    I guess no one can help me?
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Sorry man... this new forum skin is taking a bit of getting used to...I swear I didn't even see this post...200912104356-1.gif

Ok, now... lets see...
    Hmmmm... interesting use of specs...I would have never suspected that RF would get it this wrong, but the 45 hz @ 3db down for BOTH the 902, AND 525's got my curiosity piqued...I looked on the RCF site and sure enough they show the 925's as 45hz to 120 hz @ 3db down...I noted an 8db differential from the peak... BUT if you average the numbers I can see how they can feel fairly confident in that spec...

However I dispute the tops frequency response from the graph provided here...
    http://www.rcf.it/en_US/c/document_libr ... E-1029.pdf
    if we assume a generous 102db average on the graph, the LF is clearly 10db down @65 hz, probably closer to 70...
    I'm not trying to impune the RCF speakers, far from it, I hear great things about them....HOWEVER... this breach of protocol is clearly unnecessary...

So that said, lets look at the options. First , we could be a bit more accurate if we knew what the system was to be used for... and since you have only one sub were limited in low end as I think the tops will crush the sub...

The subs have 2 xover choices... 80hz, and 120hz... choose the later, this gives more options for xover points (letting the PX handle those. I would suggest letting the subs handle there own HPF... set the LPF @ 75hz LR24. set the tops @ 75hz LR24 LPF. I'd set a PEQ on the low outs @ about 65hz with a @ of about 2.5 and a cut of 4-6 db this should help to take the peaky performance out of the sub. I bet an Auto EQ... outdoors... would flesh this out as well..

Here were letting the tops do what they do best, and since the sub is probably going to be over matched, let the tops do more of the low end...I would prefer to get the tops to handle less of the low end because then they can better serve the low mids, but then more sub would be necessary...

Gadget