Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

1st Timer PA+ System setup help

djtuttdjtutt Posts: 10
edited October 2009 in PA Configuration Wizard
Just purchased the new Driverack PA+ but need help with settings since I use unlisted amps. can someone please help. here is my system setup:

Stereo 3-way
Highs - 1 Alesis RA300 to 2 HP940 Horns @ 8 ohms each (Stereo)
Mids -- 1 Samson SX3200 to 2 Dual cabs with (2) 15" Eminence Sigma Woofer @ 4 ohms each (stereo)
Lows - 2 Samson SX2800 to 1 Quad Wedge cab with (4) 18" Eminence Sigma (each amp bridged to 2 speakers @ 4 ohms)
Lows - 2 QSC PLX3402 to Quad Wedge cab with (4) 18" Eminence Kilomax Pro (each amp bridged to 2 speakers @ 4 ohms)

I have my Low outs split to the 4 amps

Any help is greatly appreciated
Dj King Tutt / ABC/Citadel Syndicated Radio

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    UFDA!

Well I must warn you I am nothing if not blunt...and your probably NOT going to like what I have to say...
    1. Eminence Kilomax... a power hungry monster...and NOT a good monster...same exact cabs as the Sigma drivers?
    2. What cab designs? Proprietary? just some speakers thrown into a cab? modeled for the cab?
    3. Your under powered
    4. What IS a "quad wedge cab"?
    so many questions...
    Gadget
  • Options
    2 wedge cabinets with 4 18' woofers in each. Front is screened with 2 woofers on each side facing each other in middle with vents on outer front edges. They were built for the eminence woofers
  • Options
    Can you point me to the plans.. and why 2 different woofer types?

And what about the mids?

G
  • Options
    1. Already had 2 QSC PLX 3402 amps so bought 4 Eminence Kilomax Pro 18's to match in bridge mode
    2. Already had 4 Eminence Sigma Pro 18's so bought 2 Samson 2800 amps to match in bridge mode

was trying to match power without buying 2 more QSC amps and $ more kilomax woofers but I do plan on having all 8 kilomax 18's powered by 4 QSC PLX 3402 amps in the future
  • Options
    In my initial settings with the 3 way setup...

highs = custom (not sure of x-over settings but using EV HP940 Horns with DV1A 8 ohm drivers)
    mids = Crown xls 802 (closest to Samson SX3200)
    lows = QSC PLX II 3602 (closest to QSC PLX 3402)
  • Options
    Meant to say DH1A 8 ohm drivers
  • Options
    :roll: Sorry, you can't just throw ANY woofer into an empty cabinet! Choosing a driver using power handling specs is CRAZY :shock: The driver and cabinet WORK TOGETHER! the speakers need to see a specific loading in order to:
    1. Provide full frequency response of the cabinet/ driver, be it 41hz-120hz or 25hz -200hz ...etc...
    2. Cabinet provides a load to the driver that keeps it from over excruding...( moving past the mechanical limits)
    3. Most speaker plans come with "DRIVER RECOMMENDATIONS" Straying from that list is a bad idea...unless you are well seasoned in speaker design/building

Sorry , I can't help it.. those two drivers are TOTALLY different and they need totally different cabinet dimensions...Besides, placing them together (dissimilar speakers) causes problems of their own.

G
  • Options
    Thnx for your help anyway...i'll get her sufficient enough until I get the rest of the woofers straight
  • Options
    I didn't say we wouldn't help, but without the proper information about the speakers I would only be shooting in the dark when offering setup info...

G
  • Options
    what x-over settings would u suggest for system (1) stereo 3 way

Highs - HP940 Horns-DH1A Drivers
    Power Freq response: 500-20,000 Hz
    Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
    Nominal dc Resistance: 4.5 ohms

MID SPEAKERS - EMinence Kappa Pro 12A
    Nominal Basket Diameter 12", 304.8mm
    Power Rating: Watts 500W
    Music Program: 1000W
    Resonance: 37Hz
    Usable Frequency Range: 57Hz-2.8kHz
    Sensitivity*** 97.1
    Magnet Weight: 80 oz.
    Gap Height: 0.375", 9.53mm
    Voice Coil Diameter: 3", 76.2mm

LOW SPEAKERS - Eminence Kilomax Pro
    Nominal Basket Diameter: 18", 457.2mm
    Power Rating: Watts 1250W
    Music Program: 2500W
    Resonance: 32Hz
    Usable Frequency Range: 33Hz-300Hz
    Sensitivity*** 95.8
    Magnet Weight: 109 oz.
    Gap Height: 0.375", 9.53mm
    Voice Coil Diameter: 4", 101.6mm
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Your 1st post says you have 15" mids. Your last one says 12". Well... which is it sonny?

Sorry, Raising Arizona is one of my favorites.
    "Everybody freeze and get on the floor!"
    "Well..... Which is it sonny? You want us to freeze or get on the floor? Cuz if I get on the floor, I won't be freeze'n and if I freeze, I can't rightly get on the floor, cuz I'll be moving...so, which is it?"

Gadget, put all the Sigmas in the same box, etc and maybe add dampening, change the ports etc on the other?

DRA
  • Options
    I got 3 different systems, I'm trying to get your input on the big one ...other 2 are'nt that difficult since i use them for weddings and dont need precise sound
  • Options
    DH1a HPF 1200hz LR24
    Mids HPF 110hz LR 24
    Mids LPF 1200hz LR 24
    Subs HPF 45hz BW18
    Subs LPF 110hz LR 24
    PEQ Hi shelf 6db/oct slope @ 2500 hz +8-10 db (CD horn EQ)

Xover gain Subs +3, Mids -0- horns -10

Any chance of a picture or diagram of the subs? Or the construction plans or drawings, the manufacturer or site location? I'm curious of the design
  • Options
    I will post a pic off the system tomorrow when I go thru everything (its all tightly packed in storage), thanks for all of your help