Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

New PA + User

djock12djock12 Posts: 47
edited November 2009 in PA Configuration Wizard
Hello, I am new to the forum. I have read the "read me first" sections and have a few questions. First of all here is my current setup:

2 EV Eliminator i full speakers running on a QSC 1450 in 8ohms mode crossed over at 125 hz
1 Peavey sp218 running on a peavey cs4080hz in 4ohm mode and crossed over at 90 hz

I have done a gain structure with a pink noise cd and I have done one with a music CD and it appears that actual music seems to clip my peavey amp way before the pink noise does. Which method for determining gain structure is more accurate, the pink noise or the actual music? Also is the gain structure setup for the current profile that is being edited or will it apply to all profiles?

I was also wondering why there were no limiters setup in the full range user profile. Would I need to turn on the limiters when I run the EV's full range?

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    When setting the gain structure with the pick noise, you are only setting the mixer output through to the amps, not "anything" that is plugged into a mixer channel.
    You still must set the channel gains based on the input source. One way to do that for CD is to record PN on a CD and play it to set the input for CD's. Another way is to use the PFL to set the input with typical music. Another way is to play typical music and use the peak LED on the channel then dial it back till it stops all together.

Set the limiter yourself. It is there.
    Why the open (empty) area between 90 and 125? That's a third of an octive you are not reproducing.

DRA
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Yeah, I doubt that the gap between 90Hz and 125Hz is your friend.

Dennis
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Ya what they said... 8)
  • Options
    How would I close that gap between 90-125? I am a deejay so I just started getting into the technical aspect of sound.
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    125 - 90 = 35
    You need a 35hz filler kit. Radio Shack has them for under $20. :shock:

Just kidding.
    First select the x-over point you want. you can try several. I prefer in the range of 90 - 120hz, depending... Start at 100hz
    Go into the x-over section for the lows and set a Hi-pass (low cut) and set to 45hz, BW18. Set a Lo-pass (high cut) at 100hz, LR24. Go to the highs and set the High-pass at 100hz also, LR24.
    Remember that any changes to one have to be made to the other. Technically you are working with filters, not x-overs, so all filters have to be adjusted.

DRA
  • Options
    thanks for the settings DRA. I never noticed the low and high pass filters. That changed the sound quite a bit and took alot of the vocals out of the subs, which is what I was trying to do. I have been fooling with the drive rack for about a week trying to get comfortable with it so I will know what to do when I have a live gig. So far it works great!
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    thjajaja191.gif
    125 - 90 = 35
    You need a 35hz filler kit. Radio Shack has them for under $20. :shock:
    thjajaja121.gif