Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

DBX DRIVERACK PA FOR PEAVEY SETUP

reservanortenareservanortena Posts: 10
edited November 2009 in PA Configuration Wizard
HEY THERE EVERYONE HOPE U CAN HELP ME WITH THIS. I HAVE A PEAVEY MIXER RQ2314 14CHANNEL, DBX DRIVERACK PA, 2 QSX RMX2450, 2 PEAVEY SP2 SPEAKERS, AND 2 PEAVEY SP218 SUBS. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO SET THIS UP WITH THE DRIVERACK AND HOW TO SET THE XOVER FREQUENCIES. I'VE BEEN USING IT FOR A FEW MONTHS NOW AND I STILL CANT GET THE PUNCH I WANT FROM MY BASS DRUM AND BASS GUITAR. PLEASE IF SOMEONE CAN HELP ME WITH THIS I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT THANKS IN ADVANCED.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    So all you have is one RMX 2450 in stereo mode for the subs? like 325 watts of power for each speaker? you won't get much thump with that kind of power... those things need POWER... get another amp or amps for the tops so you can bi-amp them and use one 2450 per sub ain bridged mode... 1200 watts per speaker... 2400 per cab... MUCH more like it!

I have put a bi-amp article in the FAQ section...

G
  • Options
    hey gadget thanks for your reply. i was wondering if that was the problem. i was told at the sam ash where i bought them that that was more than enough power but i can see its not. i'll sure buy another amp. if its not too much can you tell me as well how to set the frequencies for the x over please.
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Subs:
    45 (maybe 40)hz BW18 - 100hz LR24
    Tops:
    100hz LR24

You didn't say, but did you Auto EQ the system in the room you are playing in?

DRA

PS - It is not so much that you are "underpowering" the subs, but that you don't have system balance. It is probable that you need more poower to the subs to get balanced. It is possible that you don't need all the volume that the tops are producing and could turn their levels back. Lots of caviots here.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    PS - It is not so much that you are "underpowering" the subs, but that you don't have system balance. It is probable that you need more poower to the subs to get balanced. It is possible that you don't need all the volume that the tops are producing and could turn their levels back. Lots of caviots here.

It's been my experience that there are 3 truths to front loaded subs...
    1. a large motor structure with at least a 4" voice coil
    2. sufficient power to drive it properly
    3. A properly designed enclosure that protects the driver and lets it move some air

The thing about #1 is that a big driver with a 4" voice coil takes horsepower to get it moving... this speaker has a CONTINUOUS power handling RATING of 800 watts which means that a 1600 watt per channel (per speaker) is recommended, and 2400 watt instantaneous peaks allow good headroom... this means that the SP 218 should by all rights be offered 3200 watt program power with a dynamic capability well above that.

325 watts is barely enough to get those speaker cones moving. Now, if we were talking about a PV 118 cab that is a horse of a completely different color...and, unfortunately, with it's 3" voice coil... no matter HOW much power you throw at it you couldn't get the kind of sound your looking for...just ain't gonna happen...

Those GC and now SA guys are clueless... :?
  • Options
    thanks for all your help guys. ok i got it, im underpowering the subs. so lets say i'll keep the 2 rmx2450's to use one for highs and one for mids. now i would have to buy 2 more amps how powerful would you recommend to get them???
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Perhaps you could get just one more amp...a QSC RMX5050 will deliver 1600W per channel into 4 ohms which is what a Peavey SP218 is rated at.

Dennis