Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Outputs from DRPA+

FanFan Posts: 6
I have a DRPA+ with a Behringer 5000PM powered mixer pushing two Peavey 215's. My usage is for karaoke in my home. I have used the wizard for the DRPA+ to set up for the room (15' ceilings). My question is can I run a cable from the DRPA+'s Low ranage output to my Peavey 215's along with the cable from the High range to get a better bang on the low end?

Another possibility. I also have a BBE 462. Can I use the BBE 462 in line and get more low end?

I am sure that I am going to be told to buy a subwoofer and another amp. I am simply trying not to overpower my room.

Thanks,
Fan

Comments

• Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Please explain how you have wired a DRPA+ with a powered mixer and passive speakers.

Dennis
  • Options
    Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the prompt response. I ran 1/4"xXLR out of my main out (R/L) on the Behringer to the input on the DRPA+ then the same type patch chord back to the "power insert" on the Behringer. Run my speaker wires (Speakon) to the Peavey 215's. Sounds great! Have I done something wrong?
  • Options
    Of course, I did use the RTA and the System Setup Wizard to balance.
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    It sounds like you have correctly wired the DR into your system. Make sure you have no crossover filters engaged other than possibly a high-pass filter around 55Hz - 60Hz. You're not going to get any super low end out of your system because the speakers aren't rated that low. I don't recommend the BBE unit as something to wire into the main outs.

Dennis
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    As far as "tieing" the high and low outputs back together... electrically it would work but the only thing you MIGHT gain is 2 PEQ filters. The down side is that x-over filters will add some latency (delay) that might adversely affect the re-combined sound. If you want more low end in a small room without it being too loud overall, try adding a hi-shelf PEQ (with a low S) with the gain reduced 3-6db and sweep then frequency down until you get it where you like the sound. Else buy a powered sub.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    All fine responses, but @ 215 watts a channel... how much bass do you really think your going to be able to get with a 4" voice coil speaker that's conservatively rated @ 350 watts continuous...I mean that's only 125 watts per 15" speaker :oops: and in a passive crossover speaker I'm betting it's closer to 100 watts. Those speakers are 3db down @ 60 hz so no real sub bass is even really possible. You can add a couple PEQ's as Dra suggests but you'd only be putting a bandaid on it as you'd have to cut the higher frequencies to make the bass stand out...add a sub.. get more power...one or the other is the only long term solution...

I suppose you could corner load the speakers (place them in corners) if possible and take advantage of some very peaky low bass extension...or as I said above use the PEQ's to boost the lows and cut the highs but that's really only a bandaid as I said.. but then I'm a bass freq and real subs are necessary for my sanity...

AddEmoticons04249.gif

1220_dental_flossing.gif

Gadget
  • Options
    So important, he said it twice. :mrgreen:
    But, he is right.

DRA
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone. I have a 1200W bridged Mackie power amp that I will slide into the system and add a sub. I am very familiar with trying to make chicken salad out of chicken crap since I am a karaoke freak. But, I am also interested in the best sound I can get. The Behringer 5000 gives me two FX channels and thus the reason for it.

If I add a Peavey 118 will I get better low end sound using the Mackie amp? Price is an object since this is basically for home use.

Thanks again for the info and support for the fine dbx products.
  • Options
    What is your ceiling ($)?
    Do you EVER take your system out of the house?
    Are you handy (basic carpenter skills)?

DRA
  • Options
    Dra,

My ceiling height is 8' - 15' sloped.
    Yes, from time to time I have some karaoke gigs for friends.
    Let me say this about my carpentry skills, I could probably make an enclosure for a subwoofer for about twice what I can buy one for...LOL.

I do have an old speaker enclosure (Genz-Benz) that housed a 15" woofer, a mid and a driver. I could enclose the two smaller holes and add a 15" subwoffer easy enough. I am retired now, but I really don't have the time anymore like I did when I was working. I think I will stick with something I can buy. If that is where you were going.

Keep the ideas coming, my mind is not completely closed, just very short lived.
  • Options
    Ceiling (dollars) willing to spend for a sub.
    Gadget has designs in the "Read me first section" that you could probably build ( or have built) 2 for the price of 1 bought. Worth looking and considering.

DRA