Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard

peavey set up for driverack

reservanortenareservanortena Posts: 10
edited November 2009 in PA Configuration Wizard
hey there guys a few weeks ago i asked a question in which i said i couldnt get all the power i expected from my system and you guys replied back saying that i needed more power. i had A PEAVEY MIXER RQ2314 14CHANNEL, DBX DRIVERACK PA, 2 QSX RMX2450, 2 PEAVEY SP2 SPEAKERS, AND 2 PEAVEY SP218 SUBS. I ADDED 2 MORE AMPS TO THE SYSTEM I BOUGHT 2 QSC RMX 1850HD I WAS ADVICED TO USE ONE RMX 1850HD FOR EACH OF THE SP2'S AND ONE RMX2450 FOR EACH OF THE SP218'S, EACH AMP BEING USED IN BRIDGE MODE. I HAVENT EVEN TRIED THE SYSTEM NOW WITH THE NEW AMPS BECAUSE I HAVE ANOTHER ISSUE NOW. THE BACK OF THE DRIVE RACK HAS CONNECTIONS FOR LOW, MIDS, AND HIGHS. I KNOW THE LOWS GO TO THE SUBS, BUT MY QUESTION IS ON THE SP2'S. THOSE THINGS HAVE 2 CONNECTIONS FOR FULL RANGE AND ONE CONNECTION FOR LOW AND ONE FOR HIGH. HOW DO I CONNECT FROM THE DRIVERACK TO THE AMPS AND THEN FROM THE AMPS TO THE SPEAKER?? I NEED HELP WITH THAT.

I WAS TOLD BY ANOTHER GUY TO USE A Y CONNECTION TO CONNECT THE RIGHT SIDE OF BOTH HIGH AND MID INTO ONE AMP IN BRIDGE MODE AND THEN INTO THE FULL RANGE AT THE SPEAKER, AND DO THE SAME THING FOR THE LEFT SIDE. IS THIS THE CORRECT WAY? IF NOT PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW TO DO IT I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP ... HEY GADGET IF U READ THIS I KNOW I CAN TRUST YOUR ADVICE THANKS BRO.

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I WAS TOLD BY ANOTHER GUY TO USE A Y CONNECTION TO CONNECT THE RIGHT SIDE OF BOTH HIGH AND MID INTO ONE AMP IN BRIDGE MODE AND THEN INTO THE FULL RANGE AT THE SPEAKER, AND DO THE SAME THING FOR THE LEFT SIDE. IS THIS THE CORRECT WAY?

Ok all capitals is hard to read and considered YELING and ... NO it's not the right way...

set up a 2x3 in the wizard for mono subs or a 2x4 for stereo subs all custom is fine...since little benefit will come even if they were in the list...Set the HPF @ 45hz BW18 and the LPF @ LR24 @ 90hz...that is the subs...then set the HPF for the tops @ 90hz LR24... the DRPA in the 2x4 or 2x6 config will send the information for the tops (SP2) out the hi outs... and the lows for the subs will be routed to the left mono out in mono 2/3 and the lo outs L/R in stereo...

So connect the L/R hi outs to the bridged 1850's using the channel one inputs....hook the low outs to the bridged 2450's again on the channel 1 inputs... if your using speakon NL4 connectors the amp end needs to be wired 1+ and 2+ and the other end 1+ and 1- for ALL the wires...(ark them so you can identify which end is which, or make up a jack panel using a NL4 female jack and wire them normally which would be wired 1+ 1- ) otherwise it is the 2 red binding posts and make sure the polarity is channel 1 + channel 2 - they are NOT interchangeable!!!

Further make sure the :
    parallel input switch is OFF
    the 50hz filter is OFF
    the channel 2 pot is fully counterclockwise... OFF
    other than that go to the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING section and read the "START HERE" post and the FAQ's

Gadget
  • oh thanks gadget for your reply. ok theres is just one more little thing missing or that i just didnt get it. ok i should use a 2x4 set up for stereo subs ok and using this set i only use the lows for the subs and the highs for the full range speakers correct? but the part i didnt get is if i have to connect to the high or to the full range on the sp2's . im sorry if im causing trouble to you but i really appreciate cuz ur alot of help thanks in advanced.
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    i only use the lows for the subs and the highs for the full range speakers correct?
    correct...
    The hi outputs will supply 90hz to out (that means that there isn't any LPF for the hi outs so we are just letting the speakers produce whatever they can on the high end)...using the 90hz LR24 filter...

this means that we are setting the hi outs on the DRPA to supply from 90hz to 17 khz or whatever they (the SP-2's) can do...

This also means we are limiting the lo outputs to produce from 45hz to 90 hz... that covers the audio frequency spectrum and keeps the interaction in the crossover region to a minimum...
    but the part i didnt get is if i have to connect to the high or to the full range on the sp2's .

Remember this... even though the tops (SP2's ) are considered a fullrange, they can't produce the really low frequencies ...As I said above we are going to then, limit them to what they do best, and let the subs do what they do best...
    im sorry if im causing trouble to you but i really appreciate cuz ur alot of help thanks in advanced.
    Dude, as my Aussie friends would say... "no worries mate!" Were here to help and instruct, and hopefully make sound better one soundguy at a time!
    :wink:
  • you are a doctor when we talk about sound gadget, thanks alot for all your help it was really helpfull im happy with what my sound system does now. cant really tolerate alot of volume now :) thanks alot once again. take care man and godbless you.
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    but the part i didnt get is if i have to connect to the high or to the full range on the sp2's . .

Are you referring to the "FULL RANGE", "HIGH", & "LOW" inputs on the SP's input plate?
    High & Low would be for bi-amping the SP cabinet (all by itself, horn and woofer). You need to use the Full Range input and allow the internal x-over to work.
    If there is not a "LOW" input, it is possible that the Full Range input is also the Low input IF the High input is used (plugged making the Full Range re-route around the x-over and traight to the woofer). All the SP's I've used had all three (well 4, having 2 fullranges)

DRA