Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Need some info before buying

Before I invest in a Driverack, I have a few general questions. I'm sure these are common questions that I've missed on the forum so forgive me. I run many different configurations with my PA business. Mostly live band indoor, but some some outdoor and theater events.
We use anything from MG16 to MG32 consoles at FOH and as small as a pair of Mackie C300's to biamping Peavey 1522 tops and Peavey Lowrider in custom cabs on bottom. We typically use Crown Xti's to drive everything.
We also have dbx compressor/limiters available to us and dbx crossovers on board. Now the questions.
It appears that the Driverack PA + will replace the compressor limiters and crossovers that I have. True?
Feedback has always been an issue in theater wireless applications and outdoor events. Does the feedback suppression work well in these environments?
Can I easily change eq points manually?
It looks like the literature leans toward bi/tri setups. What is the procedure for just a single pair of full range speakers?
A for instance: what if we're setting up in a restaurant/club with patrons and the pink noise generator is just not practical to use without disturbing customers? What's the best set up procedure under these conditions?
I appreciate any and all input

Greg

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    What is your budget?

It appears that the Driverack PA + will replace the compressor limiters and crossovers that I have. True?
    Limiters - Yes, but not on a per input basis.

Feedback has always been an issue in theater wireless applications and outdoor events. Does the feedback suppression work well in these environments?
    Yes, very much so.

Can I easily change eq points manually?
    It takes longer than a analog GEQ, if you are good at knowing you frequencies. If you have to hunt, it will take longer. This goes back to my opening question. If you have $700 to spend then the DR260 allows the graphical interface to make the fader "grab" almost as easy as analog.

It looks like the literature leans toward bi/tri setups. What is the procedure for just a single pair of full range speakers?
    Just don't select the bi-amp option and select No sub.

A for instance: what if we're setting up in a restaurant/club with patrons and the pink noise generator is just not practical to use without disturbing customers? What's the best set up procedure under these conditions?
    Don't use it.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915

We like to set the system up FLAT... and store that as a preset that gives us a leg up in even the most difficult rooms because we are putting out equal energy from all frequency bands. Further, when we CAN auto eq the system in a room it gives us a tool to see what the room is doing to the sound.

I think you will find that the tool set is very attractive for the price...

gadget