Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion

DriveRack 260 for JBLs PRX535 & PRX518S

Green LightGreen Light Posts: 14
Hi all,
I´m about to invest on four JBLs PRX535 and four of PRX518S subs. Intended mainly for outdoor large crowds to play pre-recorded music but doing live singing (up to 5 vocals). I chose the PRX535s for the mid-range mainly because will help to clarify the vocals and other pre-recorded real instruments. Also looking to add Soundcraft EPM 12 mixer, haven´t decided on the reverb/delay unit yet.

Is the DR260 the best option for this setup?
Or the PX would suite better on these powered speakers?

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Differential Drive® woofer, a 165 mm (6.5 in) 195H horn-loaded 90° by 50° mid-range and a 2408H 37.5 mm (1.5 in) annular polymer diaphragm, neodymium compression driver mounted to a 90° by 50° horn,

Not trying to tell you your business...but...those are 90X50 horns and perhaps that 180 degrees on either side of the stage is going to cause some sonic problems...

Also those tops will crush 4, PRX 518 subs...
    PRX535 134 dB SPL peak
    PRX518 129 db....

How about 4 512's and 6 518's? The 12's would give nice vocal midrange and you only loose 1 db from the 535's.. just a thought...I like a 60 deg horn... then 3 array nicely... the 512's are 70 degs.

Yes I'd opt for the 260... it IS the best tool here...

Gadget
  • Don't know if the 512's would do it... I could consider (4) 525's & (4) 518's, or the worst case 515's but not sure if the 515's would be best for outdoors with large crowds (500~1000).

I appreciate your recommendations.
    The 515 and 525's have a 70X70 angle as well... but they have 15" midranges... and they are not very musical...you are REALLY short on the low end however... any of those tops will be WAYYYY louder than the subs...

So your set on getting powered speakers? and set on JBL ? I think that setup outdoors will haunt you....it's too small, and your low end is not sufficient even for the powered tops you have speced...

If your not a brand snob, and you aren't "totally" into powered speakers... I can show you how to nearly double your bang for a few dollars more...
    4... double 18's
    4... 4" voice coil 12" with 1.4 inch exit 3" voice coil horns (some SERIOUS projection capability... what the BIG boys use...
    4...Xti 4000 amps (4800 watts low end) (2600 watts tops)
    add 2 more Xti's for $1300 and get a whopping 12,800 watts of low end power! and those subs will handle it!

That's a gain of 3200 watts and sufficient low end for smaller crowds outdoors... with the additional amps and getting the 4- 2X12's up in the air you would have a good chance of cover 1000 people... with the rig your specing... no way, the low end wouldn't even reach 20-30 feet out...and the tops ... with a 1" exit horn...just isn't going to cut it...WIth the Driverack to tune this setup you'd be stylin! and believe me those 12" 2ways will CRUSH those JBLS and sound great!

I run nearly the same setup , but with LABsubs and I can do 1000+ people EASILY... probably WAY more...and it sound AMAZING...you could have 4 of the setups you listed above and you would never KNOW THEY WERE EVEN ON! In the same space as my rig...
    Just a little thought provoking...

G
    Oh almost forgot... this is a building block system... add 2, 4, 6, tops and subs and grow. The horns are 60X40 so they play nice with others, and they can be stacked in point source arrays for greater coverage and spl... remember, a 3db gain for each coupled pair...

this would actually be considered a pro level system... not a club level as the PRX's are... hey they might be fine for a small club with moderate levels... but you spec'ed outdoors...that's a WHOLE different ballgame! :shock:
    G
  • Well let´s say I want to stay with powered speakers... any brand (among the bests of course), but now I will change the venue... it´ll be a closed venue around 300L x 150W x 20H ft... qty of people may vary 400-1000... also don´t really looking for a high volume sound event, can be a party (a wedding why not) and music must be present and clear, but not loud as a concert would be.

Still thinking on keeping at least one 525 per side or the 512s you recommend but have doubts for higher volumes, but on subs do a pair of Cerwin-Vega EL-36C 18" Folded Horn Subwoofer per side also. Still need advice on the best option of power for the CVs.

THanks a lot!!
    but on subs do a pair of Cerwin-Vega EL-36C 18" Folded Horn Subwoofer per side also. Still need advice on the best option of power for the CVs.

So you mean a pair of CV EL36's per side? ya that"s more like it! THAT would move some air! I would think a Crown Xti 4000 per pair would work... try Northern Sound and Light for the best price

How about those and the 525's ...(but believe me the DAS Reference RF1264's would REALLY REALLY crank the crap out of that venue...the powered speakers just aren't going to cut it like the RF 1264's! I guarantee it!
    G
  • Thanks for your inputs, greatly appreciate it.

The D.A.S would be a nice option too, but the less pwr amps I carry the best... can either go for the 525's or the 512's as you recommended... Bad thing though the CV EL36's don't have the pole option to mount the 512's.

Reviewed also the VRX series, saw them in pictures sitting down nicely in poles over a pair of subs... but probably not best option for closed venues.

I'll continue searching and get back to you,
    Many thanks.
  • Just a quick thinking... the 525's would need to be secured since they are not too heavy and if being over the subs can eventually be dropped?
  • Here are few options for powered subwoofers, possible good choices underlined:

- B-52 ACT-18X Active 18" 1200W Subwoofer
    - Cerwin-Vega CVA-118 18" Active Subwoofer
    - JBL VRX918SP 18" Flyable Active Subwoofer (expensive!!)
    - Mackie SWA1801 18" Subwoofer System
    - QSC HPR181i 18" Powered Subwoofer
    - American Audio PXW18P 18" Powered Subwoofer
    - JBL PRX518S 18" Self-Powered Subwoofer System
    - JBL EON518S 500W 18" Powered Subwoofer (not in my wishlist)
    - Nady PSW18A Powered Subwoofer
    - Harbinger HP118S Powered Subwoofer
    - JBL JRX118SP 18" Powered Subwoofer

Add your comments...
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    but now I will change the venue... it´ll be a closed venue around 300L x 150W x 20H ft... qty of people may vary 400-1000... also don´t really looking for a high volume sound event, can be a party (a wedding why not) and music must be present and clear, but not loud as a concert would be.
    A 300' X 150' venue is huge and there is no way you are going to cover it with "present and clear, but not loud" music with two small ground stacks per side. When the music is present and clear at the back of the venue, the SPL will be lethal near the stage area. A delay line every 100' might help get the volume down some.

Three or four VRX per side will cover a lot more people evenly than ground stacks but they will have to be flown with a trim height as close to the 20' ceiling as possible. They still won't cover 300' X 150' by themselves.

If you don't want to go the VRX route, you might try another style of speaker with fly points so you can still take advantage of the high ceiling.

Dennis
    Agreed... and NONE of those subs you listed in a 4 quantity will even make a dent in that venue much less outdoors...
  • Sounds i´ll be staying with the CV EL36's + the 525´s... I think I´ll get one of those per side for the moment up until I get enough cash to grow. Thought on the DAS option, but gets me out of my budget... how many DAS RF1264´s do you recommend for the venue I mentioned and type of pwr I need?

I´ll buy everything for small venues for the moment and grow when the cash flows in :mrgreen:
    As Dennis said you'll never adequately cover that venue without a hang, and some delay towers... the PRX series are a small venue speaker(535 one per side 50X50 ...not much larger)( 525/512 could be 2 per side and only a slightly larger room)

The VRX are a mini line array with either 12" (VRX932) or 8" (VRX928) low mid drivers with a very narrow vertical coverage of 15 degrees... made to be used in multiple box arrays, can be pole mounted but are best flown. The nature of the line array makes it easier with multiple boxes to throw far or cover close by shading the array... loudest on top and closest quieter because the audience is closer and it doesn't NEED to be as loud...

The thing is with the DAS boxes you get a large format horn (3" voice coil) on a 1.5" exit (those in the PRX are 1" exit and 1.5" diaphragm ...tiny by comparison and power handling... and coverage at a distance ) you also get a 4" voice coil woofer... again a big step up from the PRX/MRX/JRX line...and most cheaper speakers... These are on par with the SRX line of JBL... and that are 2X the cost...again this is a true profession grade speaker.. for under $800...The Crown Xti 4000 amps are like 25 lbs and about $650 and... with these you could get by without the driverack... but you wouldn't have the FBX or the auto eq or RTA...etc... so, in fact the net cost for the tops would be the same, with 4, RF1264 + 1, Xti4000 = $3779 or 2, Xti 4000 for $4429 conversely, the 4 JBL PRX are $4000 + DR260 $775 = $4775.

As I also said, the RF1264 is a building block system that can easily be expanded

The same can be said for the subs, the XTI 4000 one per pair would be adequate @ 1600 watts per box...

The way I see it is that the powered speakers are limited in nature...with the lightweight and powerful Xti series amps with DSP built in you have FAR more options.. and far less limitations... remember that it's difficult at best to get an accurate system gain structure with active speakers due to the onboard and non-defeat-able limiters...also you are limited by the power available in the amp design, no such limitation with amp/speaker combo's...since you can pick the amp size that's right for the cabinet. You can also use the DSP to properly tune and delay the components to get optimum performance from the system... features that ARE available on higher end powered speaker systems...but NOT the ones your able to justify... price wise...

Yorkville makes a powered speaker... the U15P which are very nice sounding...the underpowered ones are more versatile... but you keep bringing up "powered"... and they are more than the PRX... but sound much better...but no where NEAR the price of the VRX boxes..

If you REALLY want to get the low end check out Danley sound labs:
    http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/
    A quad of his Th115:
    http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/tapped_h ... L=TH%20115
    would make you a believer...

that's my $.02...... your mileage may vary... :wink:
    G
  • Many many many thanks for your inputs... cannot be any clearer. If the DR260 wont be necessary it does fit in muy budget, and as you say, once the cash flows in ( :mrgreen: ), I´ll be able to upgrade.

I´ll be in touch for further advise.
    Mercy!
    Look to NSL for the best price on these things we have discussed here:
    http://www.northernsound.net/?gclid=CNC ... DAod2mLoQQ

Oh... almost forgot...the RF12-64's are only 55 lbs ( the much less potent Peavey SP-2's are 71 lbs...), and have built in flyware! The 535's are 75 lbs and the 525 are 85 lbs! while they have pole mounts, the JBL's do NOT have flyware!

Oh, and you can easily add pole mounts to any speaker... they sell those and the poles...
    Gadget
  • I´ve been checking this music webstore and boy they are cheaper versus others!! I can save 100s in there. Couldn´t get the quote for the RF1264s though but must be the price you calculated.

Still wondering if the lack of DR260 when using the RF1264s would be a pain when EQ'ing and mixing, also because for any feedbacks present. :roll:

See attached files.
    You could take system2 and add 3 more SETS and you would NEVER hear them next to #1....Enough said?
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

nice work on the vids...
  • Sorry, but got confused with your last comment.... probably because you switched the numbers??? :roll:

You said: "You could take system2 and add 3 more SETS and you would NEVER hear them next to #1...."

Probably you ment this: "You could take system1 and add 3 more SETS and you would NEVER hear them next to #2...."

:?: :?: :?:
    The DAS system listed will be louder than 6 tops and 6 subs of the JBL512/ CVA118...
  • Thanks for all your advises, greatly appreciate it.
  • Been checking deeper on the DAS and many many excellent reviews from the pros and also from small-businesses owners.

You recommended the RF1264´s because I said I wanted them for recorded music and live vocal performance... but don´t know If I should say that the recorded music isn´t a DJ´s style, is more of the real instrument recorded music being reproduced. Want to be able to hear the music if I was mixing audio to a real live band, really need that the pre-recorded instrument (drums, percussion, bass guitar, guitar, trumpets...) sounds neat and present.

Please if this changes on your RF1264´s recommendation.
    Absolutely not...Those have to be the screamin deal of the century...I cannot stress enough the benefit of those 1.5 " exit 3" voice coil 40X60 horns...They will give you coverage a 1" exit 1.75" horn cannot... and projection and coverage will get the horn down into the critical vocal and instrument clarity region...1500 hz instead of 2000-2500 hz They will sound great on whatever you give them to reproduce. These are better sounding than the JBL SRX 722 and less than 1/2 the price...the next best speaker I could recommend is the Yorkville U15/U215 but even the U15 is over $1000 and performance wise the RF's will smoke them... the one thing about the U15 is the Tom Danley designed unity horn... it is smooth and natural sounding...

The RF 1264's are going to serve you well and be a great building block system if your not doing cross rental...then you'd need to spend a WHOLE LOT MORE...

Oh and those are B-ampable also... so when you want to step up even further they will be ready...

G
    Please keep us informed...