Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

DBX 231 only one channel working?

azbazzazbazz Posts: 4
My PA works just fine if I go from my mixer main L/R out to amp ch 1 and ch 2 in and then amp ch 1 and ch 2 out to speakers. However, when I put a DBX 231 in between the mixer and amp only one channel works. (i.e. mixer L/R into DBX 231 ch1 and ch2 then DBX 231 ch1 and ch2 out into amp ch1 and ch2 in and then amp ch1 and ch2 out results in only one speaker working.) I can't figure it out??? BTW I checked out the cables and even bought new cables.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    What happens when you take both input and output cables off the working channel on the 321, and plug them in the other channel on the 231?
    Gadget
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Try the bypass switch. Any change.
    Silly question... is the gain knob turned up?

DRA
  • Options
    If DBX 231 channel 1 (ch 2 is not plugged in) input is plugged into amp ch1 or ch 2 I get sound out of the speaker. If DBX 231 channel 2 (ch 1 is not plugged in) input is plugged into amp ch1 or ch 2 I get sound out of the speaker.

The EQ bypass swithc does what it suppose to do. Yes, I have the gain knob turned up which still gives no sound.....:(
  • Options
    HUH? :? that's very confusing...

Ok so if BOTH outputs are plugged in and you put signal into channel 1 both speakers works... and the same when plugging into channel 2 input... both outputs have sound? That's wrong, if this is the case then there is something wrong with the unit...there should be completely separate paths through the unit...Are you SURE with only one input you get both outputs?
    G
  • Options
    Let me clarify, if BOTH outputs of the 231 are plugged into ch1 and ch2 of the amp only one speaker works.

If ONLY one 231 output is plugged into either amp channel one speaker works as you would expect.

It is when both outputs are plugged into the amp ch 1 and ch2 I still only get one speaker to work.

I returned the unit and got a new one and got the same result. I talked to some geeky engineers at work and they are baffled. I had my geeky son work on it and he is baffled. I thought the odds of it occurring on two differnet new units would be extremely low so I contacted the amp manufacturer and they said it is the EQ.

I am at the point of just returning it and going with another EQ from another manufacturer.
  • Options
    What did you replace the 231?... what amp do you have
    1. Plug a cable from one channel of the mixer to input 1 of the 231 and from that channels output to one of the amp channels...have 2 speakers hooked to the amp amd MAKE SURE that the amp is NOT in parallel input mode OR Bridged operation! THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!
    2. If this results in a working speaker (and the amp was not in parallel OR bridged mode) the move the input and outputs on the 231 to the other channel... do you STILL have a working speaker...
    3. Move the amp input to the other channel... does the OTHER SPEAKER work?
    4. If all of the above yeilds a sound from the speakers (and again... the parallel switch is off and the amp is not bridged...)
    plug in the other amp channel and tell us what happens...

G
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Are you using XLR or 1/4" cables?
    Avoid saying things like... "both outputs into Ch1 and Ch2". I am sure that you are sending output 1 into amp ch 1 and output 2 into amp ch 2, but the way you said it, it can be interpreted as... "output 1 and output 2 are combined into mono and then split into 2 mono signals and plugged into ch 1 and ch 2 of the amp".

These help...
    Mixer (L) -> 231 (1) -> "Amp" (1)
    Mixer (R) -> 231 (2) -> "Amp" (2)

Also, when trouble shooting connections, only make ONE cable change at a time, and test.

I would select 2 cables for a single connection for 1 side (mixer -> 231 -> amp). When they are verified good and working, label them (for example) "231 IN (1)" and "231 OUT (1)" Transfer them to the other side. Do they still work? Yes, set them aside for side (1).
    Repeat with another set (2).

You never said if you are getting the input LED's to light on the 231 (and in what situation).

My question about the By-pass switch was to see if the problem could be in the processing circuitry and if when "straight wire" the signal would pass on both sides.

There is definately something going on here.
    Some EQ's will only pass signal thru 1 output per side. (can't use xlr and 1/4" at the same time) not that that applies here

Take the 231 to the store that you got it from and ask them to connect it to a sytem in the store. Good luck.

DRA