Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

Considering a DR 260, but does it have the following?

xyriumxyrium Posts: 30
I need a parametric EQ and crossover in one package. The parametric eq will probably require 3 usable configs from 50-500Hz (I know, try not to eq fundamentals), and 2-3 above that range. Additionally, I want a high pass crossover that has a usable range as low as 50Hz. Can the 260 do this?

Edit: In fact, do I actually even need a 260 to accomplish this, or can I just use a DR PA or PX?

Thanks!
Paul

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    The 260 has 6 outputs. Each with 4 PEQ's. Selectable to 4 bells, Lo shelf & 3 bells, Hi shelf & 3 bells, or Lo & Hi shelf and 2 bells. All with selectable Q's. You also can select an input PEQ with 9 filters (in place of the 28 band GEQ).
    X-over's can be set to almost any frequecy. (for example, you may select 76hz, but you may have to settle on 76.2hz, but typically within 1 hz). All 6 outputs have hi-pass, lo-pass, or band-pass capability, with BS, BW, & LR filter type, and slopes of 6, 12, 18, 24, 36, & 48 db, depending on filter.

Go to the downloads area and do the tutorial for the 260 and download the GUI driveware.

DRA
  • Options
    To clarify, if you were to set a x-over up as 30-50 hz, 50 - 500hz, 500 - 8Khz, 8K - 20Khz (4 ouputs used), you'd have 4 PEQ's for each band (16 total in this config).

DRA
  • Options
    Very nice indeed. So, part 2 of my question is, do I need a DR 260 for this, or does the DR PA and DR PX offer these particular features? Essentially, this is all I am seeking, as this is for a home studio setup and thus, nearfield monitoring.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    The PX has 4 outputs, the hi outs have 3 peq's one is a dedicated lopass filter and the lo outs have 2 peq's ...the input is a dedicated 28band GEQ. There are the same basic HP and LP filters that are adjustable, and no alignment delay..

The DRPA+ has 6 outs and the same as above with 2 PEQ/s on the mid and lo outs...BUT a far better auto eq algorithm and a much faster auto eq...

HOWEVER...the 260 SOUNDS better... quite a bit better (better DAC's) and has a huge alignment delay... and thats important if you figure in processor propagation delay...you have also got 2 insertable processors with notch filters, compressors, auto feedback elimination, gates, AGC, sub harmonic synth, and strait wire...

I have NEVER had anyone be upset that they bought the 260, but MANY (including myself and Dra that had the DRPA and were BLOWN AWAY by the 260... and upgraded)... I have since gone all the way to the 4800 and it is a quantum leap above the 260... as the 260 is above the DRPA and PX...

there are a dozen more reasons you will be glad you got the 260... but the DRPA+... and maybe the PX will be great start... you'll just have a much better sonic palate to work with and a much better tool set...

Gadget
  • Options
    Well done, thank you for the fantastic explanation. Since htis is only a home studio, cost is highly considered. That's why I introduced the PA+ into the mix. Essentially, the chain will be:

Emu 1616M > Driverack > Parasound A23 amp > custom Scanspeak nearfields

I have some issues below 100Hz that I need to wrestle with, a dip between 50-100 that is audible (6-9dB). I also have some roughness in the 4k range that needs to be tamed. So, I'll only be using the stereo outputs to the single amp, in which case, I'll need about 4 PEQs, and a high pass xover at 50Hz.

Thanks for your input, it has been extremely valuable!

Paul
  • Options
    If you MUST have 4 PEQ's, the DRPA+ and PX only have 3 in the high outputs. The 260 has 4, but if you only are running rull range stereo then you actually can use the 9 band on the input side.

Concept: Gadget, with the DRPA+... could he set up a 2 x 4, open up both x-over filters to full range, y - sum the hi & lo outputs and have 5 PEQ's?

X, in case you are unaware the 260 is under $700 (new) at several places. Sometimes the "Musician's Friend", etc prices scare people away.

DRA
  • Options
    Thanks DRA! Price is obviously a concern, and even $700 seems steep for a 4 band PEQ and a crossover. While the 260 offers much much more, I simply won't be using it I suppose. Gadget's setup sounds pretty solid, especially for the price. To be honest, I'd hate to give up the DACs in my 1616M because the unit really is transparent. So, I was only planning to use the analog/balanced inputs. Unfortunately, I would have loved to do all of this signal processing in the digital domain... Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong product from dbx, and they might have something more suited to my situation?
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    xyrium wrote:
    Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong product from dbx, and they might have something more suited to my situation?

Not for $700. You might find a used product in the discontinued 400 series capable of AES/EBU in and out...I'm not sure.

Dennis
  • Options
    The 4800 does that :mrgreen: and at WELL below $5000 MSRP it's a clearly sonically superior processor!
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    Concept: Gadget, with the DRPA+... could he set up a 2 x 4, open up both x-over filters to full range, y - sum the hi & lo outputs and have 5 PEQ's?

My concern here is, if you "Y" the outputs back together... the processed and unprocessed signals will come back together... and ANY changes/path lengths...changes in the original signal...will be subjected to the same cancellations and sonic anomalies that we discuss daily where 2 speakers in the same soundfield will be subject to...

For instance...you have the signal going through the hi outs and you set a PEQ @ 2khz with a Q of .75 and a cut of 3db...the same signal will be sent through the lo outs and UNPROCESSED....these signals will be the SAME signal... but modified and so any delay... change or processing exposes the signals to phasing and delays through the processors that can and will create problems in those areas... If this was possible... or perhaps a better word practical..then I think you would have heard about this being done before...

Dennis? Thoughts?
  • Options
    This sounds like a topic for it's own thread. I don't know how much interference would be caused by this configuration but common sense says that if 2kHz is cut 3dB in the high output but but not the low output then 2kHz was never really EQ'd at all. Since an EQ filter was deployed, then at the very least, the phase would be affected in the same manner as it would be if you actually EQ'd 2 kHz. This suggested configuration would place PEQ filters in parallel. For the concept to work, they would have to be placed in series.

My 0.02

Dennis
  • Options
    Makes cents. :lol:
    How about... :idea:
    In left, out left hi, in right, out right low??? :wink:

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    Makes cents. :lol:
    How about... :idea:
    In left, out left hi, in right, out right low??? :wink:

DRA

I already thought about that and it should work in principle but with only 50% of the functionality needed...how about two DRPA+.

Dennis
  • Options
    Ok, one other question. Can the frequency of the high pass xover on this thing be set anywhere from 20-20kHz? From section 4.7 in the manual:

"The Crossover is used to divide the input signal into several frequency bands. This allows
    the user to drive the speaker in its optimum frequency range and send each output separately
    for more efficient use of amplifier power. The 260 DriveRack Crossover can be configured as
    a 2x3, 4, 5, or 6. Appendix A.5 illustrates each of the available crossovers. The High-Pass or
    Low-Pass filter being edited is indicated by the highlighted edge in the graphics area.

Frequency
    Adjusts the frequency of the Low Pass filter from 20 to 20KHz."

Notice that the section on "Frequency" only mentions low pass. Is that a goof, and shouldn't it mention that both High and Low filters are adjustable from 20-20?
  • Options
    You are correct... the 260 has hi, and low pass filters on ALL outputs... they may have been thinking about the DRPA/PX that has no lopass filter on the hi outs...but the mid and lo in the PA and the lo outs in the PX have both...
    G
  • Options
    Ok great, thanks!