Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

GEQ on the 260

Dave-in-TNDave-in-TN Posts: 13
Hey everyone! I'm the new guy. I don't own any Driverack units. The only dbx product I own is a 266XL. But I'm looking at alternative to my current Behringer DCX2496, and I've been looking at the 260. The price really turned me off at first, but now that I've looked at it some more, I think it may work out OK considering I was considering buying a DEQ2496 at some point to add GEQ and RTA functionality. But before I can tell for sure, I've got a few questions...

First one is regarding the input GEQs... I've been reading through this site and also the 260 manual, and nowhere do I see any references to manual tweaking of the input GEQs. Are the GEQs just there as a way to display a "before and after" for the RTA/AutoEQ, or can you actually set them manually?

For example, could I RTA/AutoEQ a PA rig outdoors to flatten it, save that to a custom preset (or whatever the right term is), and then, using that as a baseline, make manual tweaks to the GEQs if needed for various venues? Or does it always have to be automatically EQ-ed?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    You can adjust the GEQ manually. Download the GUI from the website and it's even easier...you can also play with the GUI without any DriveRack connected.

Dennis
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hey everyone! I'm the new guy.
    1220_dental_flossing.gif
    Greetings...

Check out NSL for the best pricing:
    http://www.northernsound.net/?gclid=CNC ... DAod2mLoQQ
    First one is regarding the input GEQs... I've been reading through this site and also the 260 manual, and nowhere do I see any references to manual tweaking of the input GEQs. Are the GEQs just there as a way to display a "before and after" for the RTA/AutoEQ, or can you actually set them manually?
    Nope, you can manually adjust the frequencies, or use the GUI for that as well, you can also change the input EQ to a 9 band PEQ. Download the GUI here:
    http://www.dbxpro.com/Software.php
    install it and then say ok to "working offline" from the insert drop down menu select [260 Drive Rack]

you can then play with the 260 and see what a breeze it is to set up and manipulate... note that there are hidden functions that you might not find without help.
    I would have sent you to the training modules... but they are gone.. I'm looking into that one...
    For example, could I RTA/AutoEQ a PA rig outdoors to flatten it, save that to a custom preset (or whatever the right term is), and then, using that as a baseline, make manual tweaks to the GEQs if needed for various venues? Or does it always have to be automatically EQ-ed?

Yes, and we have an extensive FAQ help section with all sorts of tips and tricks for your edification.
    viewforum.php?f=60

So if you have more questions (and you will) were always here.
    Gadget
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick replies!

I have an online account at NSL, and you're right that they have the best price. That's the only reason I'm even thinking about this as a possibility. If this were my first loudspeaker management system, I'd probably be looking at the DRPA+ and be happy about it. But after the DCX2496, I'm spoiled by total input/output routing control, brick wall limiters, and 48dB/octave slopes. The funny thing is that I probably don't NEED any of this. I don't do sound for hire. This is all just a hobby. I built a bunch of BFM cabs and starting piecing together the gear for a PA rig for wannabe garage band I play in with some friends. But I've become fascinated by the audio side of things, and I'm spending more time learning about that and acquiring gear than I am practicing my instrument (bass).

Anyway, I have already downloaded DriveWare and watched the tutorial video. The thing that seems to be missing in all the documentation I've read and demos I've seen are the actual screens and key sequences for modifying the GEQ using the front panel. Why do I care? Because if I get this, I need to know that it can replace the 31-band EQ I'm using now and that it won't be extremely painful to set things from the front panel. I may use the GUI for occasional setup changes at home, but I will never have computer around when I'm actually running the system, so all tweaks will be handled from the front panel.

So, anyone know of anywhere I can actually see a demo or some screenshots of how to set the GEQ?
  • Options
    I don't have any screen shots of the interface but it goes like this:
    1. press the EQ button on the front of the unit
    2. your likely to have to toggle through the PEQ 's.. repeated presses of the [next page >] button till you see the GEQ.
    3. the GEQ section is then accessed by the rotary encoder [< previous] and [next page>] buttons.
    4. you will be asked to "restore" or " flatten
    5. you can then select a frequency with the rotary encoder, when selected press the rotary encoder to be able to "affect that frequency"
    6. use the rotary encoder to boost, or cut the frequency you have selected.. once you are happy with the result, press the rotary encoder again... turn the rotary encoder to the next frequency you wish to affect... press the rotary encoder and now turn the rotary encoder to cut or boost the frequency till your happy, then repeat however many time you need to to get the desired results...
    7. pressing the [program] button will always take you right back to your preset that you have been working with.
    Yes the interface is too small (especially for a geriatric ... older than dirt old fart like me) but it is easy to navigate, and I can get to and modify any given frequency in under 10 seconds (including the process of trying to get down low enough to see the damn thing...).Once you have mastered the interface ( and for you I bet it won't take 15 minutes-1/2 hour MAX) it's simple to do the redundant tasks, and I can take a system I have never seen, and do a wizard setup, set the xovers, HPF LPF determine the xover type and slope, set the processor inserts, and configure them, set up gain structure, auto eq, FBX, delay and store in less than 1/2 hour...including, transfer major GEQ trends to the PEQ's and start over and redo for finer resolution.

All in all I think you will love the 260... it's dependability and sound quality DWARF the BEH products (the noise floor ALONE is palpable)...While I have heard some decent reports on the 2496, they all have the "noise" caveat, and throw away reliability attached to it...

Gadget
  • Options
    Thanks, Gadget. One last question (for now)... I think I've read that this is possible, but can I use RTA/AutoEQ to auto EQ the system to match a curve of my choice (e.g. a Fletcher-Munson curve) instead of just flattening it?
  • Options
    I think (if memory serves) that there are 4 target curves. I believe "c" is the closest to that equal loudness curve. So I guess Yes would be the answer. I have offered suggestions that you store a flat -0- curve which has many uses, like as a comparison curve for instance, and useful in "live" rooms where any excess energy would excite the room unnecessarily. you could also store curves for all the different curves then you could quickly shift between then, and or have a preset for different music styles. You could also flatten the system and store that as a preset, then set up some "modified" versions of that curve as well. "sweetened to taste" if you will.

I have found that the flat curve works best for me since my target is to get the same sound coming out of my console, and the speakers. In other words, no change in the sound, what goes into the speakers is the same as what comes out... no coloration, so that I don't have to make corrections with the EQ to make up for some deficiency in the speakers response.
    G