Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

Reset DR 260 to factory defaults

xyriumxyrium Posts: 30
So, I've been playing with my newly purchased DR 260 and managed to locate a laptop that has a serial port. However, i think i'd like to reset all of the myriad of changes that i've made back to the factory defaults. Is there a power up sequence or something that can perform this task? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Greetings, and congratulations on the 260, quite a product! If you got it and didn't get a manual it's available here:
    ftp://ftp.dbxpro.com/pub/PDFs/Manuals/E ... Manual.pdf

Form that manual on page 66 this:
    Factory (“Hard�) Reset.
    Press and hold the <STORE> button at power-up until the following message appears:
    “! HARD RESET?�
    “Yes <PREV PAGE>�
    “No <PROGRAM>�
    • Pressing the <PREV PAGE> button will start a Factory Reset (All User Programs will become
    copies of the Factory Programs, all Utility settings will be defaulted, and all Security settings
    will be defaulted).
    • Pressing the <PROGRAM> button will abort the Factory Reset sequence and the unit will reset
    normally.
    System (“SOFT�) Reset
    • Press and hold the <UTILITY> button at power-up until the following message appears:
    “! SOFT RESET?�
    “Yes <PREV PAGE>�
    “No <PROGRAM>�
    • Pressing the <PREV PAGE> button will start a System Reset (All Utility settings will be defaulted.)
    • Pressing the <PROGRAM> button will abort the System Reset sequence and the unit will
    reset normally.

Note that when you do a hard reset you will loose any user modifications you made. You can also upload any settings you wish to save to the computer for future download to the 260.
    G
  • Options
    Thanks! You guys are mercilessly fast! :)

I'm not sure how I missed that in the manual, but it appears to have worked! I actually reimaged the firmware in hopes
    that it would take care of it, to no avail.

Since I have your attention, and though a bit off topic, can you tell me if I have to set both the inputs and outputs to mono operation in order to run the Auto EQ on the left and right speakers individually? It seems to indicate such in the manual.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    Nope, but you can't set the outputs to anything OTHER than mono... that is to say each output is separate, you CAN however feed one or the other or both of the inputs to ANY or all outputs :wink:

To get a dual auto eq simply select dual mono... it will do the left channel first and the right second. Be aware that you WILL get a "not finished" message after the left channel auto eq pass... this CAN be something other than the 260 wanting to "auto eq the other channel". The other cause can be if more than 4 bands are fully cut or boosted, but you won't know THAT until you check the GEQ. so just assume it has passed and go ahead and do the second pass...

Make sure you avail yourself of the "START HERE" thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=959
    As it will give you the best chance of getting all you can out of the 260, and believe me it will be a STUNNING difference if you have never used a digital signal processor.

Also plaese make sure you read these auto eq threads so you know what your up against...
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=949
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=953
    and perhaps even this thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1058
    where I detail my successes in a very good room...don't expect this success in every room...it just doesn't happen :roll:
    G
  • Options
    So are you doing dual mono for mains and monitors then?
  • Options
    Thanks Gadget. I figured I had a lot of reading ahead of me, so thanks for those links!

What i am initially trying to do is feed a single amp for a single set of speakers that have passive xovers in them. Later this year, i plan to acquire another amp so I can biamp those speakers, and turn them into active speakers by eliminating the passive xovers, and using the ones in the 260.

However, getting back to my current situation, I just need to bandpass them for now, since the rest is being done by the passive filters. They are this design, built in 30l cabinets:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZRT.html

I need to high pass them at around 40Hz, because they are too easy to overload below that, though they can certainly play lower.

So, output channels 1 and 2 will simply be left and right high pass outputs essentially, for now.... When it's all done with multiple amps, I'll be using all 6 outputs by including a stereo pair of subs.

Here's a quick screenshot of the setup without linking the inputs.
  • Options
    I would say you should look at a steeper slope for the HPF for the bandpass filter... try a BW18 that would protect you better...Interesting speakers...I have several reference monitor and system speakers including some of my own design... fun stuff..
    G
  • Options
    Thanks Gadget. I'll give the steeper slope a try as well. That's the beauty of having the 260, I can adjust to my needs. I'm not exactly sure how to address baffle step compensation using it though. I suppose the delays may come in handy there.
  • Options
    I would think that speaker placement will do more to affect those problems, and then let the auto eq work on the room modes. If the speakers were outside away from all reflective surfaces the baffle would have very negligible effect. Indoors, the higher the frequency the less the baffle step has effect. Let the auto eq work on the room affect. Delay might be useful for early reflection in a live room but I doubt that it will help with the baffle.

In your case, I'd use the auto eq and do multiple measurements and see if an average gets you closer to an answer for your room. But as I said, speaker placement will play a MAJOR roll in the room. Something I haven't tried yet but makes sense (to me at least :lol:) Do a nearfield auto eq on one speaker and flatten the speakers response with the -0- response preset...With the speaker essentially flat THEN try finding the optimum speaker location, THEN try the multiple measurement location/averaging method and see what results you get. Because any enhancement in the low end will translate into room modes the lower the frequency.

Have you seen this article?
    http://sound.westhost.com/bafflestep.htm
    He has an interesting variable equalizer circuit to determine the baffle point...but I think the auto eq will be far more effective as the above has only 1 frequency.

Keep us informed as to your findings.

G
  • Options
    Thanks Gadget. Yes, placement is indeed important. I have treated walls behind and around the sides of the speakers, as well as above, and the cabinets will be 3 ft from the front wall (behind the speakers) and 2 ft from the sides. That should be sufficient breathing room, especially given the room treatment.

I'll definitely take a few measurements and continue until it looks fairly clean. Since anything I record in this room will most likely be played back in the same space, it won't matter how it translates to other systems. So, I'll probably aim for one of the curves that sounds pleasing to my ear and see how that goes as well. I'll keep you guys posted!
  • Options
    So, you'll never play the songs in the car? or on a boombox? Hmmm what kind of deal is this?
    G
  • Options
    LOL, hopefully not! I don't want to frighten anyone. LOL. It's really only random jams that I do with some old friends. It's rare that we even get through one song before someone goofs and we get tired of starting over.
  • Options
    Been there... done that... GOT the T shirt! :lol: I have a couple bands that practice here and one has a singer that my daughters call "a tone deaf monkey" :lol::lol: oh well, it's all good right! A bad day jammin is better then a good day working!

G
  • Options
    Truer words have never been spoken!
    Gadget wrote:
    A bad day jammin is better then a good day working!
    G