Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Connectivity
Options

Connecting AFS224 and Mackie 808M

gbhostgbhost Posts: 3
edited March 2010 in Connectivity
Let me preface this with the fact that I am a complet novice about all of this stuff...

I recently purchased an AFS224 to address feedback issues with the Mackie 808M powered mixer pa system we use in our practice space. Yes, I have rtfm, but I still found the instructions a bit too cryptic for my small garage band brain, and I'm not quite sure how to hook the two items together.

Is there somewhere someone could suggest to find simple detailed hookup for dummies info or someone willing to have a look at the Mackie manual and give me some guidance? Perhaps they're not even compatible? Because I don't see the same kind of ins and outs as the afs manual mentions.

Here's a link to the Mackie product page if anyone would like to give it a go: http://www.mackie.com/products/808m/

Thank you for your understanding.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Simple enough..on page 23, and 24 of the Mackie manual (available on the page you provided) you will find #39, "mixer out and power amp in" 1/4" jacks, left and right...these are 1/4" unbalanced outputs and inputs that would use a TS Tip / Sleeve type cable. you would then use 1/4 " (like guitar cables) from the amp/mixer L/R mixer outs to the 224 line in (1/4 " ins) and from the 224 outputs channel 1 and 2, to the power amp ins, L/R on the amp mixer. Press the button on the back of the 224 in for -10 operation...

I can't help but ask if you can return the 224 (if it's new) and get the Driverack PX instead... it has the AFS 224 built in, plus dual 28 band EQ's, auto eq, crossovers, band pass filters, compressors and limiters and a measurement mic.. all for LESS then the 224! It would require different cables but the results would be WAY WAY better for you.. and it's pretty foolproof and automatic, with a little help form us you would be AMAZED what you could end up with!
    Gadget
  • Options
    gbhostgbhost Posts: 3
    Thanks so much for the help. I will look into the Driverack PX.

gh
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Your welcome...

I use a Driverack in my practice space and it makes the sound SOOOO much better, far better gain before feedback, and when tuned properly using the auto EQ you just don't really have the problem with feedback to begin with.. The DRPA+ is much better, but is a bit more money.
    Gadget