Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

DBX Driverack PA+ Settings

bloggybloggy Posts: 21
Hello everybody, I am after some advice regards to settings for my recently purchased Driverack PA+

I have the following amps and speakers:

4x QSC RMX 2450 (Each one bridged for the speakers below)
2x JBL SRX 725
2x JBL SRX 728S

Can somebody please advise me what crossover, subharmonic synth, compressor, limiter settings I should use for the above setup.

Thanks in advance.

Bloggy

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi,
    I believe JBL provides those in their "Tunings"section @ JBL pro
    http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/t ... D=18&Run=1
    use the adobe "SRX700 tunings dbx Driverack P"

We don't like the sub synth

Read this :
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=959
    It's setup and gain structure for your system

And :
    viewforum.php?f=60
    there are a bunch of optimization tips and tricks there in the FAQ's

You don't REALLY intend to compress the whole mix do you? That is better on a channel by channel basis...

Were here for more questions
    Gadget
  • Options
    Gadget,

Thank you ever so much for your time. All the information that has been provided on here is excellent. My knowledge of audio equpiment has most definately increased several fold. (Did know a little :) )

With regards to compressing the mix, i'm currently using it primarily for DJ'ing with. (Using an Allen & Heath XONE:92 mixer or Pioneer DJM800) However I have been asked several times if my rig could be used for a friends band. Just need a fairly small good quality (probably 12 channel) mixing desk. Is there anything you can recommend?

Thanks in advance.
    Bloggy
  • Options
    Boy I'd look long and hard at the Presonus 16:4:2 Studio live. I talked Dr.J here into one and he has been extremely satisfied with it.. the thing is you get built in dynamics (compressors and limiters, gates per channel) and 2 efx engines and equalization, 4 band semi parametric per channel AND an adjustable HPF per channel! I think the NSL price is about $1500 (but remember you don't need to buy ANYTHING else it's all built in!

So you should look at compressing the individual channels, and NOT the whole mix (especially already heavily compressed music like pre recorded CD's)

That's what I'd do..
    Gadget
  • Options
    Gadget,

Thanks for recommendation, I will definately look long and hard at it...

Another question if you dont mind. As you can see from above I am currently using 2x JBL SRX 725. With a bridged QSC RMX 2450 per cabinet. (I think they are sufficently powered) I am however thinking about bi-amping them. Will it make a huge difference, is this something you would recommend and if so what amplifer (Power rating) do you think I should use to power the high frequency. I understand that I probably wont need much power as from what I recall the continuous power is only 75W.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Regards
    Bloggy
  • Options
    Dr. JDr. J Posts: 209
    Gadget wrote:
    Boy I'd look long and hard at the Presonus 16:4:2 Studio live. I talked Dr.J here into one and he has been extremely satisfied with it.. the thing is you get built in dynamics (compressors and limiters, gates per channel) and 2 efx engines and equalization, 4 band semi parametric per channel AND an adjustable HPF per channel! I think the NSL price is about $1500 (but remember you don't need to buy ANYTHING else it's all built in!

So you should look at compressing the individual channels, and NOT the whole mix (especially already heavily compressed music like pre recorded CD's)

That's what I'd do..
    Gadget

I am extremely happy with the StudioLive 16:4:2. For $1600 thru Northern Sound and Lighting you simply can't beat it. You could also record Live every show if you wanted to and learn so much about your band. I have fixed ALOT that way. It looks like you have some decent equipment. The StudioLive would make it killer. Saves all of your settings so next time in a venue -- load it up and you are ready to go!
  • Options
    That is NOT a small horn driver... don't fool yourself that thing has a HUGE 4" voice coil.. and that's 75/150/300 and I would use this amp:
    http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/catagories.html
    scroll down till you find the IPR 1600 that thing is under $300 weighs 7 LBS :shock: :shock: :shock: and has a 5 year warranty! you can even get built in DSP for a few bucks more! Should be about 3-400 watts @ 8 ohms...
    I am however thinking about bi-amping them. Will it make a huge difference

It makes a HUGE :shock: difference,(on all the speakers I have done this way) especially in those cabs :shock: you won't even believe they are the same speakers...

but then again YMMV here is a thread going on right now at the PSW about this process...and with these speakers
    http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/55311/0/
    The guy hasn't indicated if he is using the PEQ's or delay supplied by JBL so ... again but then some of those guys said the system was only able to be ~ok~ sounding under any conditions, and only one said they would rock a small club well..I will be monitoring the thread but I'm willing to bet the bi-amp will blow the fullrange away...
    G
  • Options
    Gadget,

As I am from the UK I have to pay alot more money for everything. More to the point the Peavey IPR1600 isn't actually available here at the moment, nowhere seems to have them in stock. Looks like I will have to be patient...

In a few weeks time I am DJing at an event which I am taking my rig. A band will also be using my PA. However I am in a marquee and have never setup in a marquee before. It will be situated on a playing field. Would you recommend using the Auto EQ function inside a marquee? If not, what would you say is the best way to eq an area like that?

Thanks in advance :)
    Bloggy
  • Options
    Oh ya, definately auto eq whenever possible... the thing is, indoors do one stack, 25 feet out ...place the mic on something soft that won't reflect sound and auto eq.. depending on how big the space is you might want to move back a bit in larger rooms. If you put a mic on a stand you are just asking for trouble..

As for the amps, how about the Crown XTi 1000 or if budgets are tight how about the new Behringer EPX 2000.. light weight, and powerful..CHEAP here..

G
  • Options
    Gadget,

It has been a while since I have posted anything. I just thought I would let you know that I ended up buying the Crown XTi 1000 amplifier to allow me to biamp the SRX725's. OMG... what a difference! You were right, they sound SO much better... (as if they were different speakers :wink: )

Now I am wondering what to get next! lol

Thanks again for all the advice/help!

Regards
    Bloggy
    :D