Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity

Single amp w/tops and subs

recrec Posts: 44
edited March 2011 in PA Connectivity
I have a qsc gx5, and I would like to run two tops off of one side and two subs on the other channel.
I am running a 2x3 config (BFM speakers 2-OT12's and 2-T30 subs)
The subs are easy since I am running them mono and have only one cable coming from the DRPA+.
My question is how do I connect the tops since I have two outputs from the DRPA+ and only one half of the amp to connect to

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Your referring to running a 2X3 with mono sum on the left mono out of the DRPA? Keep all the pan controls centered and the mix IS mono... you could feed only the left input and use only the left outputs...OR if you want you can run dual mono and run one monitor send off the right channel ins and outs, but that needs to be a 2X6 config.. here is the thread in the FAQ section I set up...

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2228
    Gadget
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    If you are a DJ and the mixer is a pure l/r in and l/r out without a mono sum switch. Then you'll need to sum the inputs or the outputs (which ever is easiest).

DRA
  • recrec Posts: 44
    Yes I am a DJ and using a 2 channel mixer.
    My Urei 1601s mixer has a mono/stero button on it.
    Is that what you are refering to?
    Then however you achieve a mono singal, you can set up a 2x3 or 2x4, then simply use Left in - hi-left out + low-left, or Right in - hi-right out + low-right out. It won't matter.

DRA
  • recrec Posts: 44
    great, thats what I needed to know
    Peace
  • The is the same setup I have as well (single amp with tops and subs)...

Would this be a feasible solution?
    MIXER		        DBX (DRPA+)				            AMP		                 SPEAKERS
    Left Mono Out ---> Left In -> Low Left (Mono) Out --> Ch. 1 In -> Ch. 1 Out --> Sub -> Sub
    Right Mono Out --> Right In -> High Right Out ------> Ch. 2 In -> Ch. 2 Out --> Fulls -> Fulls

I get to actually play with the thing on Wednesday, but would prefer to not blow it up or something stupid like that. :-)
    That should work, but you have extra connections and chance for error that you don't need.
    Why have two mono signals, separate them with the x-over, then not use one part of each?
    Just come out of the Left out (mixer) to the Left in PRPX, then out Left hi and Left lo to your amp channels 1 & 2 accordingly.

DRA
  • Honestly, one of the reasons is I was thinking it might be beneficial to "pan out" the different freqs.. pan left for the low stuff (bass guitar, kick drum) and pan right for everything else.

I know that it's probably completely unnecessary due to the crossover, but I could also further "tweak" the sound with the main faders... if I want a touch more bass, for whatever reason, I could slide the left channel up.. or inversely, I could back it down, etc.

Please bear in mind that the farthest I've gotten with my DRPA is taking it out of the box and marveling at all the buttons on it... lol
    :?:
    Aux fed subs without the use of AUX....
    G
    "Yes I am a DJ and using a 2 channel mixer.
    My Urei 1601s mixer has a mono/stero button on it."

He said he had the same set-up. Just confusing when kick , bass, etc joined the conversation. It would not supprise me if a newbie DJ thought they could pull individual instruments from recorded material and route them to another output.

DRA
  • Dra wrote:
    "Yes I am a DJ and using a 2 channel mixer.
    My Urei 1601s mixer has a mono/stero button on it."

He said he had the same set-up. Just confusing when kick , bass, etc joined the conversation. It would not supprise me if a newbie DJ thought they could pull individual instruments from recorded material and route them to another output.
    The is the same setup I have as well (single amp with tops and subs)...

I'm actually a rather experienced DJ (17 years mobile, 5 years on air), but I'm also in a band, which is the primary reason I opted for the DRPA... I'm also 99% certain that I can't drive individual instruments from pre-recorded material through separate outputs.

So.. back to the matter at hand.. it doesn't matter. I'll test it both ways (single mono output from mixer and dual mono output from mixer) and use whatever I think sounds better. If the DRPA blows up, I'll send it back, get my money back and keep running my sound the way I have been for the last year, which, in all honesty, sounds fine for my purposes as is.

Thanks!
    You won't blow it up...The DRPA is a robust device. Lone level signals are seldom deadly... :mrgreen:

What you propose is a common trick to get "aux fed subs" when you don't have enough auxes. I f your not familiar with what aux fed subs are, check the FAQ section. You'll find that and a whole bunch of other info for driverack success.

So, put the DRPA on a table and push all the buttons and learn how to navigate the menus.

Also check out the "Start here" thread for gain structure and other setup tips.

Gadget
  • Thanks for the help, gadget.. I somehow muddled through the initial setup, and even got so far as to tweaking the crossover, from memory as to what was recommended, which I'm sure is wrong (the slant/slope thing, thing...).. but I did tweak the crossover freqs to 40hz-100hz. Amazing bass response, and the tops are crystal clear.

I did split up the lows and fulls to left and right channel, respectively, and honestly, not only does it sound pretty good at the moment (I haven't gotten around to doing the gain setup yet, and it's still on the "flat" eq), but I'm really digging having the control over tops and bottoms.

The article on aux subs was perfect. I'd skipped that one because I don't have any livestock.. ;-)