Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity

DriveRack PA+ in a mono system

louistaglouistag Posts: 7
edited April 2010 in PA Connectivity
I am having trouble configuring my PA in my sanctuary. We have a mono system with a center cluster that has 2 speakers on top that are for long throw (community CPL 46) and 2 on the bottom that are for short throw (front of sanctuary). This is a mono system that we need to send the same signal to both sets of speakers (full range) but they will need to be EQ'd differently.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Absolutely no problem... they must also then be powered separately...correct?

In the Wizard, select 'stereo', select 'dual mono' select 2X4 way passive, all custom speakers and amps...load the new configuration.

hook up the CPL46's to the 'left, hi' out

hook the front fills to the 'right, low' out

Press the xover button, in the upper left of the display you will see an HML that corresponds to the 'hi', 'mid' and 'low' outs, highlight the 'H' using the <prev and next> keys and the encoder wheel, and xover buttons set the hipass (lowest point we want the CPL46's to go) to 50hz BW24 (there is no lopass filter on the hi outs)

select the 'L' from the upper left corner and set the HPF at the 3db down of the speakers you didn't list :roll:

You can now auto EQ both speakers separately...you will be asked to do the left (CPL46's) first and the downfills last...these will happen one right after the other, it will just start the auto eq process over again

Is that what you want?

Gadget
  • louistaglouistag Posts: 7
    I think this will do it. Thanks a lot. I and my audio guy really appreciate it.
    One other question. Can we add delay speakers to this setup? If so, what do we need to do?

Thanks a lot
    You would need to delay the CPL46's and downfills to match the delay speakers... this would require amps (like the Crown XTi series or the new Peavey IPR DSP series that have built in digital signal processing...because the DRPA has only 10 feet of delay per output...

What downfills are you using?

G
    Gadget,

Right now, we were lucky to get the DRPA. The down fills are CPL series, but just one speaker and a horn. Not sure what #. I appreciate all your help.

Louis
    The XTI 1000 is only like $300-350...Is that a DRPA or PA+?
    G
    DRPA +. Does that make a difference with the set up you gave us?
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Gadget wrote:
    You would need to delay the CPL46's and downfills to match the delay speakers
    Or vice versa?
    OOPS... :roll: was a long day...ya what Dennis said..

No, makes no difference delay wise, it has a much faster auto eq algorithm, and sounds better as well.

If the downfills have the same 50 hz 3db down point you could run both out of the hi outputs, but if they require a different HPF then stick with what I indicated earlier. The point is that would give you three peq's to work with...are you using subs?

I have an old delay unit I would part with pretty cheap if you want. It's an Audio Logic unit ... not digital, with dip switches for setup, but capable of over 600 feet of delay...how far are the delay speakers?

Then you could set up a 2x6 and use one each output Hi, Mid and Low to set the system up but two of the locations would share the same HPF (like the down fills and delays) it would mean that those two would share a GEQ as well so it would be nice if they were the same type.. but not necessary...it would be easier. You still have 2 peq's for each of the mid and low outs.

Gadget
    Gadget,

We aren't seeing an option to select a 2x4 setup when we get to that point in your setup suggestions. Is this available on the DRPA+ ?

thanks,

Louis
    You have to think "system" lingo here..
    stereo passive tops, with stereo passive subs...
    let me know how that works..
    you can email or call me if you wish..
    tzone42@paulbunyan.net
    218-999-7100
    G