Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

SETUP HELP JBL SYSTEM

djras1djras1 Posts: 4
edited April 2010 in PA Configuration Wizard
Hi Guys I was wondering if you guys could help me out.
I have read the start here first and would like some further help with the peq and geq settings and recommended crossover settings.
I have 2 mrx525 tops powered by xls5000 for high and mids
then I have 2 srx728 subs powered by 2 xls5000 1 for each sub.
I believe that I have a good amount of power.
I went through the crossover and have the tops all the way to about 50hz lr24
I have the subs running 30 to 80 hz set to bw18 as recommeneded.
Do you guys think this setup for the crossovers is good?
I am getting a little confused with the peq and geq,limiter and compressor functions and would like some input on further tweaking the system to sound as best as possible.
Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Personally, I don't like driving a 15" "MIDRANGE" that low.. even if you have the power... which it looks like you do. It makes the cone work harder and the midrange isn't as clear...I also don't like overlapping xover points as a rule.. if I do it's because the manufacturer recommends it, and in this case I don't think JBL does. Usually when you do that you also us a very steep BW filter like 24/48dB/octave. I also don't like crossing over on top of the kick drum first harmonic which is 75-80 ~ hz.

As for the Peq section I recommend you play with it a little.. if your confused about what they are and what they do read this:
    http://www.recordingreview.com/articles ... Page1.html

As for compressors and limiters... these are tools dynamics control..
    Compressor.. whole mix compression is not recommended...most current CD music is HEAVILY compressed already...

Limiting is a means of protecting your speakers ...the gain structure should be done first to show where the system clips...then and only then you can add a limiter to protect against things like dropped mics and pulled cords...

The GEQ is best used in conjunction with the Auto eq function..if you don't know what it does... do you have the measurement mic?
    G
  • Options
    ok Thanks Gadget I appreciate your help. So do you recommend starting the mrx525 tops at 70hz and what would you do with the subs I do have the rta mic. I really appreciate the help and thanks again. :D
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    70 hz puts a lot of movement on the cone that will deliver the primary output for vocals. Try 90 or 100hz. By all means experiment though and go with what sounds best.

DRA
  • Options
    With the MRX tops I'd suggest 85-90 hz perhaps...LR24 or BW24/48 (especially if you overlap at all)

I'd probably suggest the JBL settings for SRX 728/715 setup...
    30.4 hz BW18
    LR48 @ 81.4 hz
    LR48 @ 91hz

A Bell PEQ @ 68hz Q=5 gain=2
    A Bell PEq @ 41.7hz Q=5 gain=1.5

I'm still working on PEQ's for the 525's
    G
  • Options
    Thank you all for you input it is greatly appreciated I will test out the settings as you suggested and once again thanks
  • Options
    In my infinite wisdom I had someone set up my new computer with a virtual computer setup so that if (oops.. it's a Microsoft POS so ) errr..WHEN I get a virus I would only have to back out to the last date I had without a problem (it blocks any attempt to rewrite anything past that date) and I could be back up and running in 10-15 minutes without having to re-install the whole computer...It only wipes out the infected virtual computer.. cool huh? well, for him, the "program" folder seemed huge at 20 gigs...but with all the programs I run I soon ran woefully low on "disk space" even though I have the virtual drive in a 250 gig drive :roll:

So, the practical upshot is, I can't even get system architect to open a 4800 file for the MRX 525 for the 4800 without "freeing up some disc space" you could however..simply download "system Architect" and run it and then upload the MRX525 file for the 4800 series...that would give you any PEQ setups JBL provides for them.

Gadget
  • Options
    Actually I found that the latest version of HiQnet system architect has all the files already placed in your "my documents" 'Harmon Pro' file ... unfortunately there were no MRX files in the 4800 or Crown Xti 4000 for the MRX 525's...

There has been some talk about the MRX series on the PSW... maybe there is some help there?
    G