Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

BASS Setting for PA+ and Crown MACRO 3600 to JBL 728S

DJ Super DukeDJ Super Duke Posts: 8
edited May 2010 in PA Configuration Wizard
Hello all,
I love this forum already. I'm having a tough time with my setup. To start off
I am not getting the right bass (true Bass). I still get voice frequency going out
of my bass speakers. Is there a specific frequency I should set the EQ or should
I reset my crossover setting.
Please Help !

Thanks in Advanced.

DJ Super Duke

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    We need more info, what top speakers, what amps.. what you have done to this point.
    Did you use the wizard, or a preset
    do you have the mra
    the more info the better
    I looked up SRX 728 tunings and they are as follows with 725 tops...
    31.5 BW18 HPF
    80hz LR24 LPF
    Bell PEQ @ 75hz Q=3.41 1.5dB gain.

Have you read the "Read me first befroe posting"?
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=959
    and the FAQ's?
    viewforum.php?f=60
    Welcome,
    Gadget
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Super,
    Sounds like you have the x-over point too high (above 150hz maybe). Where do you have it set?

DRA
  • Options
    Hello Gadget and DRA,
    I appreciate your time helping me, much appreciate your time; I've also read the
    Read me topic link.
    Here is my full setup and maybe I can get a full configuration guide. Template for this set. Also
    I play urban / Caribbean Club music , I need to also know the EQ graph type to choose when I plug
    in my RTA Mic to set the auto EQ.

Here is my set:

High: Amp: Crown Xti 4000 to Speakers: JBL SRX 4733X

Low: Amp: Crown Macro 3600 to Speakers: JBL SRX 728s

Again Thanks!
  • Options
    Also Dra I had my crossover low set up at 600hz bw24.
    I guess this is way too high. I also just lowered my db to0.

Do you happend to know why in the crossover menu the is
    High: 150 hz bw 24 0 db
    low: 22.5 Hz bw24 db then 150 Hz Bw 24 Do you know what this last set of
    setting means/control?

Thanks.
  • Options
    First off are you bi-amping the tops? And where did you get theos numbers.. 150 hz and 800 hz.. not from me...
    G
  • Options
    Hello Gadget,

I am not doing bi-amp at all. Those numbers are already set on my crossover. I was wondering
    why on the Low side of the configuration low: 22.5 Hz bw24 db then 150 Hz Bw 24
    there are 2 different setting for Hz as oppose to the Highs only has one setting.

Thanks

DJ Super Duke
  • Options
    There are some really screwy numbers in some cases... provided with the driverack...the Peavey SP118 which I think they had some stupid number like 180hz crossover to SP2's... the explanation I got was that dbx doesn't allow it's engineers to make up numbers (like we do here) if they are not supplied by the manufacturers. Now by making up numbers I'm not telling you that these come off the top of our heads ... these are real numbers that we have found that work for any number of systems and are good starting points. Most of the folks that visit here are newbie to novice level and don't really have a grasp on the toolset the driverack provides. I cannot say where or what the guys were thinking with those numbers...

The ones I gave were for as I said...the SRX 700 series, JBL doesn't usually provide cross platform tunings... that is to say, Sr and SRX series, but in this case they provide info for the SR4733 and SRX728.. they suggest selecting the SR4733X with passive subs.. THEN they provide the info that I suggested previously. It's all available in the "downloads" under "tunings" @ JBL professional ...

Those are the actual numbers they provide, and they specify software version 1.0 which is the oldest driverack version...the newer one has SRX tunings, the older SR tunings...So plan on entering the info manually using the numbers I provided...
    Gadget
  • Options
    Thank you Gadget. I also went back this morning to the Read Me topic thread and learned a lot more
    with my fresh cup of coffee.
    so in a nut shell for my system not running bi-amp and with the RTA mic what should my configuration should be
    for :

High: Amp: Crown Xti 4000 to Speakers: JBL SRX 4733X

Low: Amp: Crown Macro 3600 to Speakers: JBL SRX 728s

Also does the Crossover setting stay static for all Presets? or does each preset keeps their own xover config?

Last question : Does the usb jack just for firmware upgrade , cause it seem like the Drive Gui only works for the
    higher models of the DRPA not the DRPA+.

Duke
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    so in a nut shell for my system not running bi-amp
    Not correct! Your 4733Xs are not running biamp but your total system is biamp with an active xo point between the 4733s and the subs.

Dennis
  • Options
    Ok Denniss Thank you . So since I have a 2 way setup with 2 amps...I should plug my speakon cables on the Biamp
    inputs for both highs and lows? Correct?

Thanks
  • Options
    I quote myself from above:
    31.5 BW18 HPF
    80hz LR24 LPF
    Bell PEQ @ 75hz Q=3.41 1.5dB gain.

These will be your crossover settings, and the one PEQ JBL suggests for the subs.. this doesn't mean that the speakers will be FLAT.. for that you will need to have the measurement mic and follow the auto eq info in the FAQ section and the "Start here" thread for setup and gain structure...
    Also does the Crossover setting stay static for all Presets? or does each preset keeps their own xover config?

Only the ones you set up and SAVE if you don't press the [store]button 3 times (and answer the questions) (where do you want to store the preset? are you sure you want to replace this preset... name the preset...) you will not have this stored for future retrieval
    Last question : Does the usb jack just for firmware upgrade , cause it seem like the Drive Gui only works for the
    higher models of the DRPA not the DRPA+.

That is ONLY for future update of presets (pre loaded speakers and amps)
    Ok Denniss Thank you . So since I have a 2 way setup with 2 amps...I should plug my speakon cables on the Biamp
    inputs for both highs and lows? Correct?

No, you want to use the FULLRANGE inputs of all the speakers...
    G
  • Options
    Gadget,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU
    MERCI, MERCI, MERCI

I guess this will be enough for now as I can only test it when I set up for my gig on Friday.
    I will figure the additional stuff Later. Like FeedBack and compressor Limiter, I will also use the
    recommendation for the Gain Structure.

Thanks again.

DJ Super Duke
  • Options
    Dave... one caution... compression of the whole mix is NOT recommended...especially for a DJ playing already HEAVILY compressed music.. consider limiting if you must, but there is no substitute for gain structure (you would need to use math numbers to set limiters for the Macrotech series amps though)
    G
    your welcome..