Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

So is RTA not good anymore?

AirtonPSAirtonPS Posts: 14
Hi, I am a brazilian drummer and I getting deep into this sound stuff. I've been learning on how to avoid feedback, best places to position the PA... I read the FAQ about the auto EQ and now I am afraid of getting a Driverack 260 for my band's shows (I am the drummer and the Sound Engineer). It looks like RTA autoEQ is just wrong and I should buy the Smaart software. I want to be able to put the PA up on various venus and flat it according to the room's caractheristics (EQ the system, not the room!). What I need to do it? I have recently seen Rush's backstage secrets and on the 4th part they tune the PA. Which method is that?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    SMAART software does not replace a processor like the DR260....it is used to determine the correct settings. You will get better results with a program like SMAART than you will with auto EQ but the program is about $900 and training is about $600. It's a steep learning curve and you won't figure it out on your own.

Dennis
  • Options
    Thanks, I had no idea Smaart was so hard to learn.
  • Options
    AirtonPS wrote:
    Thanks, I had no idea Smaart was so hard to learn.
    It's well worth the effort...it just depends how serious you are about taking things to the next level.

Dennis
  • Options
    I am really serious, but I don't think my band is at this level yet. As I said, I just want to flat the PA to properly tune it on each venue we play.
  • Options
    AirtonPS wrote:
    I am really serious, but I don't think my band is at this level yet. As I said, I just want to flat the PA to properly tune it on each venue we play.
    Check out the book "Sound Systems: Design and Optimization" by Bob McCarthy. It's a fairly dry read but it covers all the bases and will open your eyes to all that is available to you beyond auto EQ.

Dennis
  • Options
    Thankd! I will check this out.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    As Dennis said SMAART is the way to go, or Praxis or Systune but the cost and learning curve are steep... you can get usable results NOW if you follow the setup and tuning as posted here using the DR260...Dennis also told you that none of those will provide the tools to tune your system.. the driverack isn't the only DP out there, but the the toolset and the price are hard to beat..
    Fact is the auto eq, while not ideal will give you usable results NOW while your learning.. and I bet your band would love the results you get when done properly with the driverack..
    G
  • Options
    Gadget, where is this setup and tuning with the 260? I couldn't find it.
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol:
    front page right at the top:
    "READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING"
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=959
    and here:
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=960
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2346
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=953
    these are setup and auto EQ related...

There's lots more..
    G
  • Options
    Nice articles! Now I can get good results from my system!
  • Options
    Your welcome.. we are very proud, and worked really hard on them...We are always here for additional questions. I think you will really like the DRPA+ it's new auto EQ algorithms are fast and I have never gotten an unusable pass no matter how many reflected paths there are...

But if you want the best results with the DRPA+ one stack only, mic strait out up to 25 feet away..(horn pattern MUST be in the mics direct field) on the floor laid on a towel or other soft non reflective material.

The 260 is a HELL of a lot more machine for a few more bucks so if there is any chance you want
    6 completely separate outputs you can run fullrange and partial range (like 6 different speaker setups) Program with ease from the GUI, have over 1/2 mile of delays...and far greater flexibility.. and brick wall limiters..then the 260 is a HUGE improvement over the DRPA and the 4800 is a QUANTUM leap over the 260.. though lots more money...

Rock on!
    Gadget
  • Options
    The plan is to get the 260. I looked over the 4800, but the price is as huge as its quality! The 260 is a good equip and I can afford.
  • Options
    Good plan..
    G
  • Options
    MikeyMikey Posts: 82
    Actually, an RTA is very useful for some things. Finding feedback frequencies, looking at harmonic structure, and keeping your door held open are just a few.

Ciao!
    Mikey
  • Options
    I'd use something cheaper to hold the door open! Anyway, is the 260 an active crossover?
  • Options
    Hmmm...
    After visiting your site I wonder what you are asking..

But yes, the 260 is a piece and a half...and then some...

Gadget
  • Options
    Did you like the site?
    Sorry for the delay on answering.
  • Options
    Well I found it...well..
    Knutz!
    007.gif
    :mrgreen:
  • Options