Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads Zone Pro 1260/1261 Zone Pro 1260/1261 General Discussion
Options

1260 Shutdowns

TechZuulTechZuul Posts: 11
I'm not sure where specifically to post this so I'll start here. Quick rundown of the setup, then the issue.
2 1260's running monitoring to tech areas in one theater. Output 6 feeds a mix to the dressing room ZP below.
1 1260 running monitoring to dressing areas backstage. Two theaters feed this area so the ZP has scenes programmed for various options with a ZC-3 switching.
Ethernet network between 1260's. No issues with connectivity.
The issue:
When in a certain scene, the dressing room 1260 will stop outputting audio. Meters still show output level but no signal reaches amplifier. I have rebuilt the scenes, flashed the firmware, tried a different 1260. Issue still happens. The issue only happens in a particular scene (Scene 003) which routes Mic Input 2 to Outputs 1-4. No other scenes experience this issue.
I can only think of two causes, the only things I haven't changed that are in the affected scene, but can't really see how they may cause this issue.
1 - Bad mic and/or cabling. Not sure how that may affect output since audio is clean.
2 - Bad power. 1260 shows no power bumps. We did have to ground lift the power lead since the theater has very noisy power and that was passed to outputs in the form of a nice buzz. Can't see how this would only affect a certain scene and not all others.

Any ideas are appreciated. I'm kind of out of ideas...

Joel

Comments

• Options
    mikejoeydbxmikejoeydbx Posts: 134
    Hi Joel,

Can you send me your program file?

You can send it to support@dbxpro.com.

Best regards,
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike -
    I just sent the file. Any thoughts are appreciated.
  • Options
    Hi Joel,

I received your file. So you are saying that you intermittently get no signal out of any outputs when loading scene 3, correct? Does this happen quite frequently or is it very random?

I'm testing this program right now and letting the processor burn in.

Thanks.

Mike
  • Options
    Mike -
    The problem is regular but intermittent, if that makes sense. It does happen nearly everytime in that scene but there is not regularity to it happening. For instance, the crew showed up one day to prep for a show and it happened every 20 minutes while setting up but did not happen at all during the run of the show (over two hours). The only remede we have found it to power cycle the unit.

Hope that helps
    Joel
  • Options
    Hi Joel,

I have been burning in a ZonePRO with your program (Scene 3 loaded) and haven't experienced any audio dropouts. This sounds like it may be a hardware issue, most likely something in the power supply. So you said you had the same issue with another 1260 with the same program loaded, is that correct?

Mike
  • Options
    Mike -
    We had a second controller running a couple other outputs and started to experience this on that controller. I then combined the moved the inputs and outputs to the current controller and we are still having the problem. At this point, the only things we havent changed are the physical inputs and outputs wiring and the power feed. Again, still at a loss.

Joel
  • Options
    Joel,

The fact that two units have experienced a similar issue really leads me to believe it may be a power issue. If the ZonePRO processor is showing meter activity on the outputs (in DSP), but there is no signal present on the analog outputs, then something is likely causing the output relays to close. this can happen if the voltage from the PSU drops below a certain voltage. This also explains why a power cycle fixes the problem. I would recommend possibly trying a UPS or something similar to see if this solves the issue.

Mike
  • Options
    Mike-
    That was the conclusion I was coming to also. I will try a power conditioner\voltage regulator and see if that solves the issue. Don't suppose you could recommend a cheap/decent one?
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    He's talking about a UPS.. un-interruptable power supply..a battery backup that would actually take over in the case the power fell below a certain point, failed altogether..or even handle spikes in the line from pinpong effect of large motors/draws on the line. These are available (usually for under $50 depending on how long it needs to be able to maintain a lost line supply) at any computer store, Best Buy, Circuit city, or New egg(on line).

A line conditioner/voltage reg. can handle spikes pretty well but unless it has makeup (which usually means a hefty price tag) the sags in the line will go largely unaffected.

I'm sure Mike will weigh in as well.
    G
  • Options
    Gadget has nailed it, as always!

Joel,

Another thing which may cause this, is if the power supply harness is not making a very good connection between the main and power supply PCBs. You may also want to ensure that this harness is making a good connection to this power supply board.

-Mike
  • Options
    Thanks Mike!
    I've also seen where the power cord for the unit is swapped out for an elcheapo Chinese crappy cord and the cord IS a problem...you could try another cord...
    G
  • Options
    Hi All,

I have a similar problem.

I have a ZonePro 1260 that stops outputting sound. A message "Power Bump While Saving to Memory" is displayed. The unit however stays on.

After about an hour without sound it mysteriously turns back on but the sound cuts out intermittently every few minutes.

Anyone know what might be happening?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Darius
  • Options
    Did you read the entire thread and suggested fixes? It's all there in black and white...

Power issues.. get a UPS (uninterpretable power supply)

Power issue:
    Another thing which may cause this, is if the power supply harness is not making a very good connection between the main and power supply PCBs. You may also want to ensure that this harness is making a good connection to this power supply board.

***NOTE*** If the unit is in warranty still if you open up (which you would need to do to check this) you will void the warranty...

Gadget