Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING FAQs
Options

121.7 dB monitors with a 260

GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
edited June 2010 in FAQs
First off let me preface this by saying that the monitors are cast frame 3" voice coil woofers and 1.75" diaphragm 1" exit drivers on 75x50 horns in a well designed cab. The amps are RMX 2450's for the woofers and Crown D75's for the drivers. The HPF was set @ 90hz BW18 and the horns are crossing @ 1.75khz LR24.
1. Set up the speaker in the garage, ceiling height 17'6\" tons of stuff all around
2. set mic up in approximate head position (6'3)aimed at monitor (15" coax) ( I also accomplished this with a proprietary 15" + horn in a conventional monitor ..cast frame 15" with a 90X40 horn next to it) The drivers are either Eminence 2002 or P Audio Pad 52's)
3. bi-amped and roughed in balance wise lo to hi
4. auto eq pass -0- response hi precision -10/-12db input (LOUD..REALLY...)
5. Select EQ, toggle to the GEQ and check the EQ curve, get a feel for the way it sounds...SM58 running through small mixer running dead flat EQ and gain structured properly...(remember the RTA mic runs through the 260, which runs into the amps, I simply had the mixer set up into the 260 so I could exit the Auto eq and go right to the mic...
6. took spl measurements with spl meter (not a radio shack one but a good one) 3 feet from the monitor as I sang really loudly into it...( I have a really big voice... :mrgreen: ) aimed same mic right into horn 1 foot away.. silence...
7. transferred Eq curves (roughly ... using braod strokes..because in one case there was a boosted band within the pattern...could well have been a reflection though..) ( I almost always look at a fully cut bunch of bands with a good boost in the middle as a potential cancellation)
8. re-test feedback potential with 58 watching the RTA in real time as I sweep the mic over the speaker, and as feedback occurs insert further PEQ filters till blessed silence is the only thing left...again mic in hand I do my sing thing with the meter ...sound is awesome! no feedback... 121.7 DB!

I have found that if you want to have better clarity in the sound of the system as a whole, and your muso's are as deaf as mine... (aren't they all?) that setting the HPF of the monitors upwards of 120-150hz you will do a lot to minimize the thickness/muddiness of the overall sound, and it also helps onstage as well...Remember also that part of the reason for this is that when you put a speaker on the ground, you have ground plane coupling to the low end. Sure your going to get that guy that says "Hey more low end in my monitor vocal" Often if you move your hand over the controls but DO NOTHING... they will say "There... perfect"! :mrgreen:

monitorsetup101.jpg
Well, good luck and good sound!
Gadget