Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

First time post- 166 A Compressor question

silvercnsilvercn Posts: 4
Hello - this is my first ever post on the dbx user group. I have been home recording for a couple of years, and the only "outboard" processing equipment I use now (primarily for acoustic and DI electric guitar, midi keyboard, and my vocals) is my interface and a small Art Tube pre-amp. I am wanting to venture into the world of analogue equipment, and to start with a compressor. Having a limited budget, on a hunch I called a local well established sound company figuring they might sell some of their used equipment occassionally. Well sure enough, they have 4 dbx 166A compressors for sale, each $100.00. There is not a lot of reading on line to be found on these so I thought to write on this forum and see what someone could tell me about this unit....good, bad, or ugly knowing now - is the time !

Please keep in mind that I am a newbie and so far pretty happy with my DAW based work - but according to most, analogue processing on the way in (or for post-production processing) is the way to go for a better sound; and I ma not ready for the really big bucks equipment.

Thanks !!!

Comments

• Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    The 166A is a respectable unit and so is the price but try to grind them down lower anyway just so you can feel good about it. Keep in mind that in live sound reinforcement, analog gear is quickly becoming obsolete because everyone is buying digital boards. It is becoming more difficult to unload the analog stuff...it's a buyers market.

Dennis
  • Options
    Dennis - thanks for such a quick reply and you must have read my mind - just a little while ago I was thinking about getting them to go lower on that. New, was that unit a couple of hundred or close to it???

Thanks !
  • Options
    The current version, 166XL, is $259.99 (MAP price) and I don't think they were ever any less expensive. I saw a 166A on Ebay with a buy it now price of $125.

Dennis
  • Options
    Thanks - While on the topic, what is your take / experience on applying compression, and or other fx (gate, expansion, etc) before it reaches the interface, versus applying it with vst plug-ins. From what I've been reading it depends on who you ask. Since I have not yet invested in such hardware (my interface and mixer do not have these features built in) I have no way of knowing.

ps - I won't bother you much longer !
    Thanks
  • Options
    I do live sound only and use compressors in a different manner so I can't answer your question. Gadget is the moderator here and he does recording so maybe he will jump in.

Dennis
  • Options
    Dr. JDr. J Posts: 209
    I typically hold back on compression in a live setting to see who needs it the most. It is different for different bands. I run for a band where the bass player gets a little excited at times and when he plays harder than normal -- his tone gets a little too noticed. So in a live setting -- I use it to tame down guys or girls who aren't consistent. I use just enough to bring down the peaks and smooth it out. I also use it on singers, drummers....... but just enough to smooth it out if needed.

I record quite a bit as well. I have a protools rig and a live recording console so again I only compress what needs to be compressed to bring down the peaks BUT on final mixdown -- I will compress it as hard as I need to -- to get the signal levels back up otherwise you can't get any volume out of it. Keep in mind that when you do this it can make your recordings sound very different. It will sound different in the way that things stand out more than others or that something may need to be Eq'd differently since you compressed it. Make sure it doesn't sound "Squashed" & lifeless.

Don't know if this helps. Gadget has worked with compression a lot and I know he only likes to use it sparingly so that is what I try to do as well. He also stresses that if you can hear the compression taking place -- you may have applied too much. Use what you need and no more.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Well...that pretty much says it...I have... on occasion compressed the whole mix rather than turn down early and turn up later ( you know.. no people to soak up the sound) but I do use it very sparingly.. and I did include a post ing the FAQ detailing that procedure.

As for live compression I normally work with accomplished acts and they don't usually have a lot of stray dynamics. So I use compression sparingly. I think there is way too much compression being used, especially in recorded music. It takes all the dynamics out of the music. YMMV
    G