Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack PX
Options

Question About Power On Sequence for PX and Powered Speakers

djmactdjmact Posts: 5
edited July 2010 in DriveRack PX
Greetings,

New PX user here and yes I have read the manual(S) and FAQs. It is clearly stated that powered speakers should be OFF when connected to the PX and the last item powered on. OK and makes sense to avoid unnecessary noise, pops etc. Here is my situation. The room I do some shows in has powered speakers chained to in the rafters 16 feet in the air and they are ALWAYS ON. It is almost impossible to power them off prior to connection to the board. Yep, pretty lame and out of my control.

My question is are the any MAJOR risks to connecting the live speakers to a powered down PX? Would it be better to have the PX on and connect the live speakers... Thumps/pops and nasty crackle is expected and I completely understand this is a less than ideal situation.

Thanks

Don

Comments

• Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Furman has multiple solutions for sequenced power on/off.

http://www.furmansound.com/

Dennis
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    The pop should be less with the PX on...and not a major deal I wouldn't think...
    Gadget
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    How about when the situation warrants, using the XLR's outputs on the PX to simulate an on / off status. Not ideal, but....

DRA
  • Options
    Huh :?
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Instead of turning OFF (or ON) the PX and worrying about a pop. Unplug the output XLRs 1st, then turn off the PX. Plug in the XLRs after powering on the PX.

DRA
  • Options
    djmactdjmact Posts: 5
    Thanks for all your insights. My main concern is if something really would happen on power-on. My motto is as first to avoid asking foir service.

Thanks
  • Options
    Then a UPS is the way to get this... turn on the PX/UPS first and the amps last.. turn off the amps first and the PX last...should the power fail, shut the amps down quickly in case the power comes back on...(assuming you have an inexpensive UPS that will only run the PX for a few minutes)
    Gadget