Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

260 stability vs PA

s0c9s0c9 Posts: 14
Currently own a DRPA. Had it just over a year.
I have had all kinds of weird issues with it since Oct last year. Posts on it in the PA forum here have indicated that it is VERY susceptible to power issues. Most recent problem (last Sat night), the sub (summed, 2x5 config) was burping and farting.. Tried all the usual procedures (power cycle, change cables, different source, etc) but still same same result, so concluded the sub (Yorkville LS800P) was on the fritz. Bench-checked the sub (dismantled sub, checked connections, 9v test on speaker coil, etc) and the DRPA at home Mon night. Both worked fine. Tested them separately on a different system/venue last night. Again both fine!!
Prior DRPA issues have included losing one side of my stack after running fine for 3 hours; losing mids on one side, losing HF on the other side later that night (after repatching the mids), yada, yada, yada.

My issue is now one of RELIABILITY, as I do not know from gig to gig what kind of FOH issue to expect - with all roads appearing to lead to the DRPA and power supply issues. It's no longer an acceptable risk for me !! And I'd bet that if I sent the DRPA in for repair, I'd get a NTF (No Trouble Found) response.

So-o-o, looking for some advice.
Based on MY factors ($$, reliability, etc), realistic choices are:
1. Upgrade to a DR260 (familiar with its feature set)
2. Buy a rack-mount UPS for the DRPA

Either way, I'm going to spend approx. the same $$. Going with #2 will add 50+lbs to my amp rack, and need a battery replacement every few years, plus it will be running in high-humidity situations with multiple outdoor gigs during summer/fall months.... iffy ?

My choice would be #1, but not if I'm going to get more of the same as I have with the DRPA.
So, how does the DR260 handle power fluctuations ? Better than DRPA?

Suggestions, recommendations, feedback welcome !
TIA

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    There have been a few issues with the display causing problems with the DRPA.. so, was there any indication that the display was acting weird? I suggest you open the unit and pull the display's ribbon cable and clean it with an eraser and if you have some cleaner, like Caigs liquid gold that would be good also..

There is no need to get a huge, expensive rack mount UPS.. I run a $29 el-cheapo that can only run the drpa for a few minutes.. but that's all that's necessary...

The 260's I have have never faulted and I have head 3 for 6-7 years now and thousands of gigs, I really haven't had any trouble with the DRPA's I have either though...

Gadget
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    re: the sub farting problem

Are you passing a generic signal (unprocessed by the DRPA), or are you using PEQ's or compression etc? Send too hot of a signal?

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    re: the sub farting problem

Are you passing a generic signal (unprocessed by the DRPA), or are you using PEQ's or compression etc? Send too hot of a signal?

DRA
    Nope.. nothing special on the sub feed... (2x5 config) summed mono out to sub. Last Sat was first time I've seen this particular issue. To balance levels between HF/Mids and LF, sub is set to -4dB output level. In all fairness, there could have been an issue with the sub - a loose connection that I corrected when I had it apart. But, like I said..both units bench tested fine..
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:
    There have been a few issues with the display causing problems with the DRPA.. so, was there any indication that the display was acting weird? I suggest you open the unit and pull the display's ribbon cable and clean it with an eraser and if you have some cleaner, like Caigs liquid gold that would be good also..

There is no need to get a huge, expensive rack mount UPS.. I run a $29 el-cheapo that can only run the drpa for a few minutes.. but that's all that's necessary...

The 260's I have have never faulted and I have head 3 for 6-7 years now and thousands of gigs, I really haven't had any trouble with the DRPA's I have either though...

Gadget
    Gadget, not had a single display issue with the DRPA, it's all been on the output side.
    Could you give me a hint/link as to which rack-mount "el-cheapo" UPS you are using ? :)

Much as I would like to upgrade to a 260, if I can stabilize the DRPA issues with a relatively inexpensive UPS, then due to budget constraints (times is tough), that would be my 1st choice.
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Gadget is referring to a computer type (OfficeMax, etc) table top. The rack mount are VERY expensive.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    A cheap UPS will not solve all the worlds problems, but it will help stop the thump on lost power situations.. I do not believe you are experiencing that... I would look at the ribbon cable issue as the potential problem here...If there is no display issue though, and you have done a hard reset... well.. any electronic device can have problems...but I would try the Cable first...
    G
  • Options
    OK.. thanks for the heads up...
    I'll take a look at the cable.. and we can go from there.

would something like this work as a UPS ?
    http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpower-UR500RM1U-UPS-Metal-case-Rackmount/dp/B0006VHVAK/ref=pd_cp_e_1
  • Options
    UPDATE:
    Have not looked inside the DRPA, and NOT purchased a UPS unit.
    Have done FIVE gigs since my last post and on EVERY one of them, I made sure that nothing but the DRPA (+ HF/MF amps) were hooked up to single circuits, and I have not has a single issue.
    Assumption is that previously observed issues are totally power related and nothing else.
    Will consider the purchase on a UPS, but not sure that will solve/prevent anything.

Hope this feedback may help someone out...
    and thanks to Gadget/Dra for their input.

Regards,