Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Beginner design help

dr_opticaldr_optical Posts: 15
edited September 2010 in dbx Archive General Discussion
I am an audio idiot. I work with small classroom audio (no mics typically) without any problem. Throw a mic in the works and I get myself into trouble. :? I have a larger classroom I need to design a system for with the following specs.

60' deep x 40' wide
Tiered seating
14' ceiling at the front of the room
8' ceiling at the rear of the room
2x4 standard ceiling tile ceiling
Lots of long laminate covered tables across the width of the room
I've attached a picture

Their needs are pretty basic
Lavalier mic with the option of adding a second lavalier or hand-held mic
Presentation audio from PC, DVD, etc. all switched by the projector so only 1 input to the audio system is needed. Presentation level controlled by the projector's remote. (If there's a better way to do this by all means please let me know)
Ceiling speakers???
I would like to set the mic levels and lock it down so the user cannot easily change it.
My biggest issue with mics has always been feedback way before a reasonable level is attained. So I need a processor that can tweak whatever is necessary to get the gain I need.
It needs to be easy for a complete novice like myself to setup.
Of course as always my client doesn't want to spend any more than he has to.

Can you offer suggestions on components? Thanks I appreciate the help.

Comments

• Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    There is nothing easy about setting up and using lavaliere mics. So my first question is, can you trade them in for Countryman E6s?
    http://countryman.com/store/product.asp?id=92&catid=2
    It would make your life a bit easier. You will need speakers with a flat response...ceiling speakers won't play well with lavaliere mics. I have found QSC K10 to have quite a flat response and they're fairly small. Two or three of them mounted close to the ceiling at the front of the classroom should cover. One of the DBX ZonePro products could complete the system but I'm not sure how easy it will be to control a pair of lav mics with the ZonePro's virtual mixer. Gadget should be along shortly with some more ideas and answers about the ZonePro.

Dennis
  • Options
    Thanks, Dennis. The Countryman mics look like a good choice, but probably too pricey for this project. It doesn't have to be perfect. I just need a solid improvement over a system with no feedback suppression. The instructor is going to stay at the stage area of the room 99% of the time which I assume would be where I would want to install the QSC K10s. Will this not be a problem so close to where the microphone will be?

Andy
    Dennis wrote:
    There is nothing easy about setting up and using lavaliere mics. So my first question is, can you trade them in for Countryman E6s?
    http://countryman.com/store/product.asp?id=92&catid=2
    It would make your life a bit easier. You will need speakers with a flat response...ceiling speakers won't play well with lavaliere mics. I have found QSC K10 to have quite a flat response and they're fairly small. Two or three of them mounted close to the ceiling at the front of the classroom should cover. One of the DBX ZonePro products could complete the system but I'm not sure how easy it will be to control a pair of lav mics with the ZonePro's virtual mixer. Gadget should be along shortly with some more ideas and answers about the ZonePro.

Dennis
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Describe the back (facing the stage area) wall. Have you considered room treatment? What is your budget, by the way?

DRA
  • Options
    Here's another photo. All of the walls are drywall and my client hasn't given specific numbers but from our conversations I doubt there's room in the budget for treatments. My apologies. I know I'm not giving you much to work with. Maybe I'm hoping for too much considering the restraints.

I appreciate any input you can give me.

Andy
    Dra wrote:
    Describe the back (facing the stage area) wall. Have you considered room treatment? What is your budget, by the way?

DRA
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    OK.

How about... what gear do you have now and what gear are you needing to buy?

DRA
  • Options
    dr_optical wrote:
    Thanks, Dennis. The Countryman mics look like a good choice, but probably too pricey for this project. It doesn't have to be perfect. I just need a solid improvement over a system with no feedback suppression. The instructor is going to stay at the stage area of the room 99% of the time which I assume would be where I would want to install the QSC K10s. Will this not be a problem so close to where the microphone will be?
    What I have in mind is the speakers mounted high enough to shoot over the instructor's head (more or less). It will still take a lot of tweeking.The Shure WL185 lavaliere isn't the best sounding mic in the world but has a lot of gain before feedback...you might want to check it out.

Dennis
  • Options
    I'm just specifying equipment now. Nothing is purchased yet. Wanted to get your advice before I get myself in trouble again. :oops:

Andy
    Dra wrote:
    OK.

How about... what gear do you have now and what gear are you needing to buy?

DRA
  • Options
    Thanks, Dennis. I'll look at the Shure. What would you suggest as a processor?

Andy
    Dennis wrote:
    dr_optical wrote:
    What I have in mind is the speakers mounted high enough to shoot over the instructor's head (more or less). It will still take a lot of tweeking.The Shure WL185 lavaliere isn't the best sounding mic in the world but has a lot of gain before feedback...you might want to check it out.

Dennis
  • Options
    dr_optical wrote:
    I probably haven't thought this through completely but I think a ZonePro 641m would be a good fit...a 641m will give you spare mic channels and a 641 will give you spare line channels.

Dennis
  • Options
    It looks like the 641 has 2 inputs configureable as mic or line and another 4 line inputs. I think that will do everything I need.
    Dennis wrote:
    dr_optical wrote:
    I probably haven't thought this through completely but I think a ZonePro 641m would be a good fit...a 641m will give you spare mic channels and a 641 will give you spare line channels.

Dennis