Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

trasnslate EAW processor settings into a DR260

orfeas.comorfeas.com Posts: 2
Hello all,

I have a pair of EAW KF300z tops that I am setting up with our Driverack 260. I found processor settings on EAW's site but they seem specific to their processor because the Q values don't correspond to the bandwidth values they list (at least according to a few other sites I've referenced). For bi-amping, they list a parametric EQ setting with a bandwidth of 0.25 as a Q of 4.00, yet on other sites that same bandwidth translates to Q 5.76. Which is right? Or more to the point, which do I plug into the 260? I am curious if anyone has these speakers and what settings they actually used for the parametrics. Here are the manufacturer settings:

http://www.eaw.com/info/EAW/Processor_S ... S_rev2.pdf

Another thing I noticed is the different crossover types for the biamping. They recommend a bit of an overlap at the crossover point and use two different types of filters:

LF/MF: LPF, 1155 Hz, BW 24
HF: HPF, 1029 Hz, LR 24

I imagine the manufacturer spent time on this and these settings work best with their processor, but is this generally recommended for the 260 as opposed to using the same type of filter on both sides? Would this introduce phase issues in that frequency range?

I will of course try different settings and see what sounds better, but I'd like to understand these concepts a little better and hopefully learn from your experience.

Thanks,
Damien

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Bandwidth (of which Q is a relation). The number of octaves (or fractions of an octave) over which the signal is affected by boosting or cutting. In EQ circuits bandwidth and Q describe the same thing, but - see below - use different (and inverse) scales: the higher the Q, the lower the bandwidth, and vice versa. The range of possible adjustment can run from about 1/60 octave (Q = approximately 90) to about 3 octaves (Q = approximately 0.4).

Therefore use the "Q" that they provide. If 2 "Q"s are available try both. Getting a set of parameters from someone other than the manufacturer is probably going to be "IFFY" at best...but you'll find a lot more EAW users @ the PSW.
    Another thing I noticed is the different crossover types for the biamping. They recommend a bit of an overlap at the crossover point and use two different types of filters:

LF/MF: LPF, 1155 Hz, BW 24
    HF: HPF, 1029 Hz, LR 24

Now, sometimes xover points are overlapped...usually when they are, they are crossed over using BW24/48 filters and the purpose is to deal with some aspect of the crossover region, and the frequencies within it. As I said, try both, in fact, set both up, and give each a preset. That way you you can have a couple of solutions for different problems, OR you can try both easily and perhaps one will win out in most situations..
    I imagine the manufacturer spent time on this and these settings work best with their processor, but is this generally recommended for the 260 as opposed to using the same type of filter on both sides? Would this introduce phase issues in that frequency range?

The manufacturers put a LOT of time and money (and they have the equipment and experienced personnel to do it) into the suggested settings... in fact, the prevailing thought process, currently by the knowledgeable sound techs, is to input the manufacturers setting and LOCK THE PROCESSOR! To assume you can do better is to put the manufacturers reputation in jeopardy..."geez I attended the ____________concert last night and the system sounded trerrible"! Well... was it the system? or more likely the tech...

I hope this allows you to understand these things better. If you have more questions.. fire away.
    Gadget