Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Problem with one speaker

premier1premier1 Posts: 119
edited September 2010 in PA General Discussion
I had asked this before but didnt really get an answer, the only speaker that clips on me is the top right and only on the amp. I do not know why, I thought maybe the tweeter was blown ( dont know how to tell) but it sounds great at a bit lower volume, I can hear the highs etc no problem, could it still be there is something wrong with the speaker itself? or could there be another explanation I can look into or is it just a matter of turning down the volume knob on that side ?. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    "the only speaker that clips on me is the top right and only on the amp"

That is a confusing statement. Can you clarify?

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I get it.. I meant to answer but there was so much more going on I forgot..

Here is where basic trouble shooting comes into play

The variables
    1 The amp
    2. The speaker cable
    3. The speaker
    4. The input signal to the amp

The first rule of troubleshooting is "divide and conquer" In other words... the signal chain is like this
    Driverack>cable>amp>cable>speaker
    (this means start in the center and see if everything is good to that [point)
    the easiest things to check here are the cables.. so one at a time (speaker cable first because it's the most likely to cause a problem) swap the cables from a known good channel to the bad channel...If that fixed the problem you need to fix, or replace the speaker cable.. if it didn't fix the problem swap out the other cable...

If that didn't fix the problem then try changing the known good speaker to the bad amp channel

If that didn't fix the problem switch the bad amp channel to the other driverack channel...

If that didn't fix the problem it's the amp OR the settings on the back of the amp are different.. as in the limiter is engaged on one channel...
    Gadget
  • Options
    Ok I understand and will do these things but just to clarify...On my amp for the highs (tops) I use one chanel for the left speaker and one for the right speaker, Both volume knobs on the amp in the same spot, turning up the volume on the board causes the right speaker to clip the red light for that chanel flikers on and off however Up close to the speaker I cannot hear anything audable telling me that it doesnt sound right, so as Gadget sugested I will go thru those issues he mentions and see if it fixes it, I will report back as to what happens and thanks for the help as always. Bill
  • Options
    well on one side I have a 12 gauge cable on the other (the right) I had a 14 gauge cable, once I changed to the heavier gauge problem solved, I cant beleve that mader the difference because in my practice room the run is short but it did, heavier cable is the way to go I guess ! Thanks for the help
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    On it'ss own, that should not be enough to notice. Must have had a partial short.

DRA
  • Options
    Yes it must have been coincedence but I am sure something in the cable was bad
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Now you know the sequence for basic trouble shooting...
    and as Dra said the difference between 12 and 14 gauge on short runs is minimal... there must be a problem with that wire...
    g
  • Options
    Again, thank you guys! Hopefully all holds up well, have a 3 days straight giging this weekend!