Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Outboard eq

premier1premier1 Posts: 119
edited October 2010 in PA General Discussion
I finally did an auto eq outside! I had a gig outside last sunday and decided it was the perfect time, I got a great flat setting and things sounded very good for the show. I then decide to go ahead and buy an outboard eq to add before the drpa, the reason being because to keep going in to boost or cut one or two freq..was a pain its much easier to just reach out and grab a fader for things like my kick drum etc, I went with a DBX-231 unit the duel 31 model...When using the gain knobs it considerably raises the volume of the system, is this a time to use the limiters or compressor? do I have to do a gain structure all over again? Just surprised at the volume increase..Thanks

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    You can prove it to yourself. With the add-on EQ in the chain but by-passed and the speakers disconnected from the amps, go to your max board output setting. You should not be clipping on the amps. Now, engage the EQ with the gain increased as you have it. I bet your amps are clipping.

DRA
  • Options
    premier1premier1 Posts: 119
    ok I understand that Just want to find a balance so that i can use enough gain to make the eq worth using, at zero wont hear anything, but I dont want clipping so I will work it out, thanks