Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

PA for QSC K Series Powered

papizan4815papizan4815 Posts: 3
I am aware that the PA doesnt have any Powered speakers in the system. Can I put in the settings for a powered speaker under custom and it work like the PX. Also How do I set up gain structure for the qsc K8 powered?

System:
A&H Mixwizard 16:2
driverack PA
2 QSC K8 mains
2 seismic 12" floor Monitors
2 RMX 1450's monitors and Sub
1 Yamaha SW218v

Yamaha is in PA set up. Need suggested set up numbers for Monitors, and K8's, also recommendations on best way to set gain structure and auto eq for K8's. If it is the same process as in getting started, Im good.

We are a Southern Gospel Quartet, 4 part harmony and a piano with computerized track accompaniment.

Any help will be appreciated, We run sound from stage so it is helpful for monitor and main mixes to immulate each other.

Thx Ron P.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi,
    Is this the monitor?
    http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/Pai ... sa-12m.htm

As for the K8's I didn't find a frequency plot or a 3dB down point but I start around 100-120hz crossover point. I cross my 8" Anchor Extremes @ 150hz but they only have about 200 watts of power... I cross my 12" @ 118hz LR24 ... you have more power available but I would still suggest starting at a minimum of 100hz LR24.

The "start here thread is a good place to start... and I'd suggest trying 50% on the speaker gain control and see if that gives you enough to match the subs in the gain structure method.. if not nudge it up unless your getting clip lights on the K8's...(I figure those K8's will CRUSH that SW218) You'll want to bridge the one 1450 and set up a 2X3 (for stereo) use the 2 hi outs and the low left mono out.

You COULD run the mains mono and use the other channel to process the monitors...and if they ARE the ones in the link above you might want to consider it...(piezo horns EWWuu :roll: )
    G
  • Options
    Thx Gadget,

Yea those K8's are amazing for an 8" speaker, They are the mains, 1000w apeice. Does auto eq work the same between pa and px? If you run Mono mains and pa rt high out to monitors, What's the process to eq mains and monitors separately? and is it nessessary? Thanks, what's your opinion on buy px for powered mains or manipulate pa, or ditch pa and get a 260. We are on limited budget but whatever in gonna sounds best. And yes the monitors are the same as in link, no piezo horn, titanium. Haven't used the 12's yet, but they look substantially adequate, Thanks agian
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    And yes the monitors are the same as in link, no piezo horn, titanium.

WHEW :mrgreen: dodged a bullet there..Piezo's SUCK in this application :wink:

Here is a link to the process...you won't have full independent functions like the 260 would give you but in my opinion.. YA.. VERY necessary if your going to make those monitors work...

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2228

The thing is, when you have the DRPA set up as dual mono...the process would ask to Auto EQ the mains first (left channel), and monitors next (Right channel)

Set up a 120-150 hz HPF for the monitors, and use one of the PEQ's and set a broad Q filter( a Q of about 1.0) @ about 350hz and cut the mud out of the monitors.. I just did a monitor set (some real pieces of crap low end Grund Audio 12's) and uesd an HPF/LPF and 12 PEQ's to get it so it was feedback proofed, and sounded good(a DR260 for a pair of monitors).

No the DRPA is better in a lot of ways than the PX.. and no the DRPA will do the powered speakers just as well as the PX so will the 260...the auto eq process is FAR better on the DRPA+. It's lightning fast and as close to foolproof (as long as you put the mic on a towel or something soft and put it on the floor (indoors)) as there is. (won't get a really BAD sounding pass like you can with the DRPA+ or 260)

The 260 is a far better piece than the DRPA .. but the DRPA will do the Job, but not nearly as well.

You can download the GUI and play with the 260 .. an see how it works.. (and get addicted to the simplicity of the setup and graphical nature of the setup process)
    Gadget