Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

TWO cabs PER one channel??

Buzz LightyearBuzz Lightyear Posts: 75
I have come across something I've not seen anyone do before. I know why they did it but I was curious as to what this presents both to the cabinet and to the amplifier.

I have made a fantastic rendition of the scenario so that you may see clearer into the question.

IMG00214-20101116-1757.jpg

Specs are as follows:

Speaker: 800w/1600w/3200w at 8 ohm
Amp:
2-ohm Dual (per ch.) 1600w
4-ohm Dual (per ch.) 1100w
8-ohm Dual (per ch.) 650w
4-ohm Bridge - 3000w
8-ohm Bridge - 2300w

What is the amplifier seeing as an ohm load in this scenario? I know series and parallel wiring but this I don't know.

buzz

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Looks like a biamp speaker setup to me.. one channel feeds both woofers, the other feeds both highs... this is the ONLY way this would work...assuming the drivers are 8 ohms then each channel see's a 4 ohm load.
    G
  • Options
    Hey Gadget! Long time!

No they are installed passively.

Yep. The negative pole of cabinet one and two on channel one negative pole and the positive pole of cabinet one and two on channel one positive pole.

-buzz
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Sounds witchy to me.
    Maybe the negs are are chassis grounded, so as long as he pos are connected all works fine. If that is the case, still 4 ohms. IMHO.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Sorry Buzz..hows things?
    ... really tired when we got back form the cities.. that would just be a standard parallel connection where if the speakers are 8 ohms the product would be 4 ohms...
    G