Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

Wire setting in crossover mode

keyman88keyman88 Posts: 32
I saw in a recent post: "Wire is just that a strait wire through the module." I'm not 100% sure what that means and in what instance would "wire" be used.
Thanks...just curious....you never know I might want or need to use "wire" if I know what it is and what it's used for :)
Gary

Comments

• Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    keyman88 wrote:
    I saw in a recent post: "Wire is just that a strait wire through the module." I'm not 100% sure what that means and in what instance would "wire" be used.
    Thanks...just curious....you never know I might want or need to use "wire" if I know what it is and what it's used for :)
    Gary
    Each module has a couple of insert points where you might insert a compressor or a notch filter or whatever. If you don't see anything you want or need to insert, then insert "wire" which bypasses the insert point allowing signal to go straight through.

Dennis
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I'll follow up that answer with a question.

Is there a difference between a module being "Off" and "Wire?

DRA
  • Options
    Thanks for the answer....they couldn't put one sentence in the manual?
    Thanks again....I really do appreciate the speedy answers and the wealth of knowledge on this forum.
    Gary
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    The whole concept of "Wire" is... that lets say we have a preamp to boost the signal strength so that it's usable. Now some preamps have a decided "Warmth" or coloration...It would seem, that since the dawn of the digital age...that one would want pure gain with NO coloration, or added sonic qualities. So, came the dawn of "strait wire amps", and dbx's 4800 is said to be just such a device. What goes in comes out... bigger...It is said to offer no sound of it's own, like XTA which is said to be very "warm".

In this case then "wire" means... just as if there had been no module there at all. So, how does that pertain to Mr. Dra's question...I have no idea :lol: I guess one would have to look at a per circuit basis to see if the module was truly bypassed, or just shunted through a bunch of components. In the case of the driverack, it's all done in the digital domain so here we are not even going through a mechanical switch, or relay so the signal integrity is maintained absolutely.

Those that have the PX, DRPA, 240, 260, and 480, know that each has it's sonic characteristics. The price of the piece is directly associated with it's sonic characteristics, and is tied in no small way to the processors, and D/A, and A/D converters.

:wink:
    Happy new year!
    Gary