Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion

SMAART® TOOLS FOR THE IPHONE AND IPAD NOW AVAILABLE

DennisDennis Posts: 801
I received the following email from Rational Acoustics...

SMAART® TOOLS FOR THE IPHONE AND IPAD NOW AVAILABLE

We are pleased to announce that the Smaart® Tools single channel module is now available as an in-app purchase in Studio Six Digital’s latest version (2.7) of their AudioTools application for iPhone and iPad.

Smaart Tools was developed by Studio Six Digital in collaboration with Rational Acoustics and is based on the proprietary algorithms, techniques, features & color mapping found in the Smaart® v.7 acoustic test and measurement software.

Smaart® Tools will ultimately appear as two modules within the AudioTools app. The single-channel module is available immediately for $49.99 and the proposed dual-channel module is expected to be available later in 2011. As an in-app purchase, you must own (or purchase) the AudioTools 2.7 app prior to purchasing Smaart Tools. AudioTools can be purchased via the ITunes app store by searching under “AudioTools” or “Studio Six Digital” and is priced at $19.99. (All pricing quoted for the US iTunes store).

Smaart Tools Single-Channel Module
The single-channel module includes the following features from Smaart v.7: RTA Bar graph, RTA Line graph, RTA Bar & FFT graph as well as Spectrograph. On the iPhone and iPod touch, there is an additional Spectrograph with the RTA Line graph overlay. On iPad, split graph mode is available, so you can put any two graphs on the screen at the same time.

All of the RTA banding options available in Smaart v.7 are available in Smaart Tools, including log, lin, Octave, 1/3rd, 1/6th, 1/12th, 1/24th and 1/48th Octave modes. The decay modes from Smaart v.7 are also available, and include None, 1, 2, 4, 8, and 16 averages, and the Smaart 1-10 second custom decay settings, as well as Infinite, Fast, and Slow.

The frequency scale can be zoomed down to a single octave, and the dB scale can be zoomed down to 1dB resolution. Double-tap the screen to return to full frequency response, and to auto-scale the dB scale. Real-time Spectrograph history continues beyond the display, just swipe to see sound events that have scrolled off the screen.

Other features include high-contrast mode, variable Spectrograph speed, vertical or horizontal running Spectrograph, Difference mode, Peak Tracking, and FFT Windowing.

All of the standard AudioTools features, such as Save / Recall and the Generator Panel are also included. All settings are automatically saved and restored the next time that you run the app.

Because the processor on the iPhone or iPad is not as powerful as a desktop machine, the number of updates per second is lower than a desktop or laptop machine. Also, as previously noted, Smaart Tools is a single-channel module so will not have any of the multi-channel capabilities found in Smaart v.7. It also does not have any of the trace capture & store features of v.7.

The default input source for Smaart Tools is the built-in microphone found on the iPhone / iPad. Alternatively, you can use Studio Six Digital’s iAudioInterface (for iPod Touch gen 1, 2 or 3 only) or other suitable input solution of your choice.

For more information you can check out Studio Six Digital’s demo video of the Smaart Tools single channel module, or the Studio Six Digital website.

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hey Hotspot :mrgreen:

Just a press release? not a single thought or conjecture? Personally I can't justify a smart phone for what I do.. 99%of the time... my son, Ya BIGTIME...but I'm not willing to spend the money every month to have internet at my disposal 24/7...so, while it seems like cool toy...I need some real convincing before I'm gonna pay a monthly fee for something I would rarely use...

Thanks for the info though Dennis! I take it you are excited about it?
    G
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Sorry for the slow reply...I put a long day in at a theater yesterday setting up for a 2 week film festival.

I'm with you on the iPhone...I do not own one, and don't see myself buying one for SMAART apps but a lot of people do own them and I thought this info would be of interest. We have discussed dual FFT apps on this forum before and now we have the official word from SMAART.

Dennis
  • Hi Dennis and Gadget,

I'm somewhat interested in the dual channel version that they are coming out with sometime later this year. I have the Audiotools RTA and have used it on my iPad. SMAART on the iPad might be nice, but the supported USB interfaces are pretty limited at this point and I can't come to grips with using the internal mic(for single channel).

On a related note, JerryD has been schooling me on SMAART for the past few weeks and I'm starting to get the basics. On the Presonus forum I had linked to some of the Driverack tuning info here and got connected to him from another guy(Monolithent) who suggested I contact Jerry to get "SMAART"!!! At this point, I'm trying to figure out if I can justify SMAART or Systune for my "hobby".

I'm not sure what tools I'll end up with and if the dual FFT SMAART version is double the cost of the single, that might be my most economical way to do it. I'm not sure what the feature difference will be yet.

Everyone sing!!! "It's a small world after all!"
    malong335 wrote:
    Hi Dennis and Gadget,

I'm somewhat interested in the dual channel version that they are coming out with sometime later this year. I have the Audiotools RTA and have used it on my iPad. SMAART on the iPad might be nice, but the supported USB interfaces are pretty limited at this point and I can't come to grips with using the internal mic(for single channel).

On a related note, JerryD has been schooling me on SMAART for the past few weeks and I'm starting to get the basics. On the Presonus forum I had linked to some of the Driverack tuning info here and got connected to him from another guy(Monolithent) who suggested I contact Jerry to get "SMAART"!!! At this point, I'm trying to figure out if I can justify SMAART or Systune for my "hobby".

I'm not sure what tools I'll end up with and if the dual FFT SMAART version is double the cost of the single, that might be my most economical way to do it. I'm not sure what the feature difference will be yet.

Everyone sing!!! "It's a small world after all!"

Interesting but I'm uncertain if there was a question in there somewhere.

Dennis
  • Dennis wrote:
    Interesting but I'm uncertain if there was a question in there somewhere.
    Dennis

Nope, just commentary. Jerry has raved about all the help you guys gave him to get him up to speed with SMAART.
    malong335 wrote:
    Nope, just commentary. Jerry has raved about all the help you guys gave him to get him up to speed with SMAART.
    Cool...hope he does the same for you.