Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

How to Auto EQ with sub?

LMOLMO Posts: 10
I've used the auto eq function before to adjust the frequency response of individual speakers. Is it possible to do this effectively when using a sub? I've been using the boundary method with the reference mic close to the floor and the speaker aimed at that point.

Any tips?

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Part of the reason that we auto EQ is to check the response of the speakers at the x-over point. A boost in the region can mean summing, and would require some separation of the filters or a change in the filter type.
    A null at the x-over point, could mean a phasing issue (time / distance), a polarity issue, etc. To fix some of these problems, perhaps separating the filters, moving either the sub or top / adjusting the delay, etc.

So, Yes. Together is best. But individually will also tell you alot about each's charactoristics. Although for the subs, you won't be able to "finish", but the important data will still show up on the GEQ.

For a baseline though (for subs), outdoors is the only way.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    As Dra said, indoors Auto Eq of subs is mostly a no win situation... set up a PEQ @ about 60 hz with a Q of about 8-9 and another @ about 100 hz with a Q of about 5... you may need to move those a bit up or down, but with most front loaded subs you'll usually find that is the high efficiency points for the subs, simply lower the gain till the LF is to your liking...
    G
  • Options
    LMOLMO Posts: 10
    I went ahead and ran auto EQ on my inexpensive studio monitors and sub (KRK Rokit RP-5s and KRK Rokit RP-10S), with the mic at the listening position. The output of the sub was a little higher than the monitors, and there was a small peak and a dip near the crossover point, so I'll see if I can resolve some of that by adjusting the controls.

Thanks for the comments...