Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Is it worth it all?

dowensdowens Posts: 3
I'm in a cover band that playes small to medium houses, anything bigger we hire sound. I've been contemplating buying a DRPA+ for several months to improve sound and simplify our system, also a gift to our sound guy who does an awesome job. After reading the board here for about a month it sounds like the 260 may be the better choice. But quite frankly, these postings have scared the hell out of me with both. My original thought was the driverack would help simplify our setup but I'm not sure that is the case, alot of the posts sound like nightmares. We typically don't have alot of time for setup, so the auto wizards appealed to me and seemed to be a great solution to acheiving high end sound in a small amount of time. Here is our system:

4-Crown XLS 802D Amps
2-JBL JRX 125s
2-Peavy SP118s
4-Peavy PV12 Monitors

We run Mono signal from the board through 32 band EQ, crossover and sonic maximizer. Highs to one 802 in stereo to the 125's.
Lows to one each 802 in mono-bridged to each 118
Run our monitor mix (single mix) from board to 32 band EQ and sonic maximizer to the remaining 802 in stereo and run two PV12's off each side. The crossover does have a few limiters but not sure they really are providing much protection.

Please don't flame me for not knowing the brands of our board, crossover (although I think it's a behringer) or EQ. And Gadget I know from reading the board you don't care for the JBL low end stuff and I'm sure the low end Crowns won't set well either :D but believe it or not the sound we get out of this stuff is pretty good. We play out every other weekend at various places with some wicked accoustical challenges. So helping us tame some of these places would be cool, but again we usually don't have a great deal of time.

So here are the questions: Is the 206 the better way to go or will the PA+ work and we can save a few bucks? Do these things simplify or complex the setup? Should we just be happy and keep schleping along?

Thanks,
D.O.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Well, not trying to bash your system but with those tops the Driverack will make a heck of a difference, and yes it will simplify the whole process. We've pretty much taken the mystery out of the whole process and provided a set by step process for setup and tuning...

However... to get the full benefit you also need to get a measurement mic...

That said, the 260 offers an awesome tool set and flexibility that is far superior to the DRPA platform. However, that is not to say that the DRPA+ won't be a great addition to your system. Just that it's a step down in flexibility and price.

For instance, the 260 offers 10 additional PEQ's, nearly a mile of delay time, and completely configurable outputs (you could do a 1X6 system 5 way system, which the DRPA won't do.

If your doing mono FOH you could do that and a limited single monitor feed with the DRPA +
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2228
    you could do the same job with the 260 with no such limitations...HOWEVER, with the technology comes a price... as you said there is a learning curve...I guarantee you, if your sound guy is really all that... he will be THRILLED with either, and he will be blown away by the results he can achieve.

One thing is for sure.. you won't be needing the sonic discombobulator any more with a driverack!

If you get a quote form Northern sound and lighting Guitar Center will match it.. (about $390 for the DRPA+) the mic, you should get the Rational Acoustics RTA 420 for about $80..

The thing I think you missed is the "start here" thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=959

And perhaps the FAQ section:
    viewforum.php?f=60

Where we de-mystify all things driverack...

Perhaps you should turn your sound guy on to the site and see what he thinks...

Gadget
  • Options
    Dr. JDr. J Posts: 209
    YES!
  • Options
    Thanks, I did read those threads but it's hard to find many posts that sing the praises of the these units. Most, only tell of the problems and hassles of trying to get things right. I'm going to take a leap of faith and give the 260 a try, the seperate control of channels and flexability of it is going to give us room to grow. I've sent the link to our sound guy to check it out and I'm sure we'll both be back often to pick up tips.

Thanks again Guys,
    D.O.
  • Options
    Dr. JDr. J Posts: 209
    I started out with the DRPA. It was itimidating at first BUT do like Gadget states in one of his articles. Set the thing out on the table with the manual and start pushing buttons. You can't hurt it.

I then picked up a DRPX for my monitors & that eventually led to me getting the 260. The 260 was a MAJOR step up. It can do all kinds of things that I haven't even touched on BUT is there if needed.

Achieving top notch sound -- is not easy. I am into it two years now & I have been very aggressive about it & still am. I don't see myself slowing down at all.

Learn the Auto EQ procedure for tuning up your system & then maybe down the road you guys can get into some FFT measuring.

FFT measuring is difficult to understand (Interpreting that is) BUT to learn even the most basic things -- makes it so much easier. A great learning tool you could say. Being able to SEE your changes on a screen is major.