Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion

DriveRack® PA+ Speaker and Amp Library

davedolcedavedolce Posts: 10
My powered bins are not in the DriveRack® PA+ Speaker and Amp Library. When is dbx going to release a download to update the library on my pa+?

2 mackie 450 v2
2 mackie srm 1801
2 jbl 515

dave

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    :shock:
    Don't hold your breath.

DRA
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    My guess would be that it will be a while... why? The information provided in a "tuning" is little more than a an HPF and LPF and with powered speakers usually the HPF is set to out...the LPF would need to be lower than the subs built in LPF and the slope, and type filter would need to match the HPF on the tops.. no biggie...

It would appear that the 1801's have no HPF unless you use the highpass outputs..

It's not usually a good idea to have dissimilar types and configurations of speakers in close proximity (like eon 515 and Mackie 1801 that reproduce the same frequencies...
    Gadget
  • I don't use the eon 515's with the mackie 1801's.

The only time all six speakers will be used at once is the mackie sound system for the main dance floor
    and the 515's for fillers.

Gadget can you please explain what you mean by a

The information provided in a "tuning" is little more than a an HPF and LPF and with powered speakers usually the HPF is set to out...the LPF would need to be lower than the subs built in LPF and the slope, and type filter would need to match the HPF on the tops.. no biggie...

It would appear that the 1801's have no HPF unless you use the highpass outputs..

thank you.

Dave
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    A "tuning", in it's correct form is actually nothing to do with fullrange speakers... fullrange speakers are technically those that can produce from 100hz (and below for some) out to at least 12,000-20,000 hz...Like the Mackie SRM 450's or Eon 515, or QSC K12... They typically can be used all by themselves for acoustic gigs that don't require subs.

Take a fullrange speaker with a woofer, and a horn that are passive but can be bi-amped. They have a built in passive crossover, but that can be bypassed with connectors that allow direct hookup to the woofer or horn, bypassing the passive crossover...you would then use the Driverack, or some other crossover, and 2 amp channels, one for each component of the speaker.

That is then technically a crossover.

A sub and a top speaker is technically a pair of bandpass filters... one that passes bass the other passes all other frequencies. The same principle applies to both and even the fact that they both use the same slope's and filter types but one, the crossover usually uses many more elements of the driverack, typically:

1. A crossover point and slope
    2. Peq's (Parametric EQ's that help fix the problems associated with the speaker, like crossover point interaction, horn characteristics, frequency response problems
    3. Delays associated with alignment of the given components.
    4. provide HPF for the speaker

Now, typically you will see only one of these things with a setup like in the PX. Those are typically an HPF for the sub, an LPF and HPF for the top speaker and Maybe A GAIN DIFFERENTIAL for the subs... but little else.

If you'd like to see some of these differences, go to JBL, find the "tunings" (support>download>tunings> product) and look up the "tunings" for JBL speakers like the SR 4732 ( in this case a pretty simple implementation of a sub, and top cabinet with a lo and hi output)

Well, the subject gets deeper and deeper the more you get into it...

Gadget
  • Thank you bud, as my brain slowly process's your knowledge, I will be coming back with some more questions.

Thanks again.

D