Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard

Peavey and Carvin setup assistance

dhansen111dhansen111 Posts: 7
edited February 2011 in PA Configuration Wizard
Hello guys, just purchased a used Driverack PA and am wondering about settings. Looks like the previous owner put in some custom settings for speakers/amps not in the original configuration so I really don't trust these. I''ve set my gain structure as directed. It's for a 4 peice rock band who will be playing small clubs. Any suggestions concerning wizard settings, whether to chain the speakers to get 4 ohms, buy more amps, etc. I've been messing around quite a bit with the driverack PA but would like to hear from he experts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I also need to power four 8 Ohm monitors.

Speakers

2 Carvin 832 full range tops
400W Continuous
100 dB SPL 1 Watt @ 1 meter
8 Ohm
http://www.carvinguitars.com/cartech/crg/manuals/832-v1.pdf

2 Peavey 118 sub HC (I converted 1/4 to speakon)
Single 18" Black Widow
350W Continuous
100 dB SPL 1 Watt @ 1 meter
8 Ohm
http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/118subhc.pdf

Amps

QSC RMX 850
http://www.qscaudio.com/pdfs/manuals/RMX_User_Manual.pdf

Mackie FR 1400
http://www.mackie.com/pdf/m1400_m1400i_om.pdf

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Not sure why you put the info for monitors and didn't include amp info?

Ya, your terribly under powered... and those really aren't subs... more a low mid cab...I would bridge both amps...Set a Hipass of 45hz BW18 maybe even 50hz... Set a crossover of 118hz LR24 for tops to subs same for both... I think those are 15",6"and horn right? those cabs won't really handle what they say, and the crossovers are very delicate and mounted terribly...

Gadget
  • The Carvin's are a 15" and a horn. The Peavey "subs" are rated at 350w continuous, if I bridge the Mackie FR 1400 and run the speakers in parallel then wouldn't that be too much power for these cabinets? Forgive my ignorance, I've been out of the live sound game since 1989, I just saw my first speakon connection a few months back! :shock:

I think I need to shop for different subs if these won't handle the job. These said they go down to 42 Hz, how far should they go down? Thank you for all your time!
    Things have come a far piece since then sir...the Black Widow is rated (even at the oldest specs) @ 400 watts continuous... that is Pink noise 24/7 @ 400 watts, the second spec is "program power" generally 2 X the RMS value, the last factor is peak power, I like to simply think of this as headroom, and it's to be used only in instantaneous (millisecond bursts) dynamic moments... and that is generally a good explanation of live music...very dynamic.

For Dj work, with heavily compressed music, the speakers are best served using only the "program" level of power, since the duty cycle of the amp is much higher, and heating of the voice coils is more likely to happen.

Nevertheless, the amp can only put out 1260 watts bridged mono... and if there were 2, 8 ohm speakers hooked up to this amp in bridged mode, each speaker would only get 1/2 that power or 630 watts... well UNDER the 700 watt program rating...got it :wink:

Now, since you have been away, as I said, great strides have been made and we have provided a treasure trove of info for you to catch up in the getting started:
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=959
    and FAQ:
    viewforum.php?f=60
    Threads...

Gadget
  • Awesome, thanks Gadget! I've been spending that last few weeks going through the FAQ's and I'm impressed with the amount of information here. I'll keep plugging away.
  • Gadget,

I've set up the system as you suggested and I't sounding pretty darn good, I coupled the bass cabs am getting an ample amount of thump out of them. I haven't got an RTA mic yet so nothings been EQed yet. I'm moving on to the limiting next...

Thanks!
    Just remember that limiting is the LAST resort and is NOT a guarantee of speaker protection... the gain structure and getting all things to clip together is MUCH more desirable.. and then AVOID clipping all together...