Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard

amplifier levels during set up

smilessmiles Posts: 7
edited February 2011 in PA Configuration Wizard
This is my first post. Please take it easy on me this time. I just purchased a drive rack PA+ rcently and have been working to understand it. My system consists of (4) yamaha s115V, (4) subs 2 pv118/2 harbinger single18, (2) crown xls2500, (2) crown xl1500. I am gaining a better understanding of xover points, slopes, etc but I continue to have an issue when I use the reference mic to set levels. Everytime I have tried it, it continually asks that I lower my amps until they are near zero then tells me I am not balanced. Can you tell me why this occurs? I saw a post with the same question, but it was not answered. Thanks :D Smiles

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Well, Smiles...
    I don't and won't use that function so I guess I never spent the time to master it...

I recommend you do your system setup this way:
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=959

Simply press the [xover] button to exit the auto level function...(use that as a "home" key....

What are you trying to do with 4 tops that have 90 degree horizontal horn patterns? Overlapping horn patterns WILL cause all manor of sonic anomalies...

AND you have different subs....that too can cause problems...

Have you been to the FAQ section yet?
    viewforum.php?f=60

Gadget
  • That is what I've done the 2 times I've used it. As far as the cabinets, i usually use the Harbingers only with 1 s115 for smaller rooms. I will add the second s115 with the top cab upside down so both horns are center for mid size venues. This seems to work, but I don't claim to be an experienced soundman (just a bass player who got the job of PA management) The peavey's I only use as extra's in large rooms. The band is a nine piece 50's doowap group. Iknow I can do better but this setup is working ok for now. As I get gain knowledge i'm sure my system will evolve. I am always open for suggestion Thanks
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I will add the second s115 with the top cab upside down so both horns are center for mid size venues.

Well good, you do understand then...

Ok, so I get that the setup is working for you... but, did you know...The larger the speaker... the more it beams... that baseball bat in the forehead reminiscent of sitting front of the guitar player with his guitar blasting away at his ankles, and knees and laying waste to everyone in the first few rows...

The lower the frequency the horn can go... the less beaming...the larger the woofer the more beaming... and with a 1" exit horn and a crossover north of 2000 hz... well you can well imaging that getting smooth midrange is in dire jeopardy...

Perfect example... EL CHEAPO deluxe... Behringer B215... HORRIBLE piece of crap! :roll: but the B212 is a very useful speaker... same amp, same horn. the 215 sounds like ASS the tone controls don't work worth a DAMN.. on the 215, the sound is crappy at best... I use them as my live foldback/cue monitor..for live sound Still not a world class speaker but usable characteristics...

Well.. good to know your "in the know" about some of this... were here for you when you have questions.
    gadget