Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Need processor settings for EAW660 speakers

soundguy7soundguy7 Posts: 8
edited March 2011 in PA General Discussion
Need processor settings for EAW AS660 3-way mains speakers. I'm guessing this would be Bi-amp? EAW website did not provide a lot of info on this. Thanks for your help. Need Cossover settings, PEQ, Delay times if any.... sub-h Synth...
(Everything in mono)
-I have 4 EAW AS660 house speakers.
-I have 2 OAP FH118 horn-loaded subwoofers (22" trckpack version?)
-I have 2 driverack 260's :D
-Soundcraft GB4-32 FOH mixer
-QSC RMX850 power amp for monitors and front fills (front fill speakers are EAW JF60)
-QSC RMX1450 power amp for hi-mid mains
-QSC RMX2450 power amp for low mains and subs
I think that is it. I'm using preset 9 I think in the DR 260. Muti-zone I think is fine for this set up.

PS- I would like to run aux fed subs with this set up also.
Thanks,
Jon

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Ah but I disagree...
    See here:
    http://www.eaw.com/info/EAW/Processor_S ... S_rev2.pdf
    Page 5
    AS660e
    Tri-amp
    Bi-amp
    Including info for tri-amping with a subwoofer...
    4 parametrics on the LF
    3 parametrics on the MF and HF
    Delay
    xovers it's all there...

Now, as far as Aux fed subs go...

If you haven't yet, get the GUI and do the setup with it... it's FAR easier, you can only use one 260 at a time on a serial port... there are ways with other systems but I digress..

you could actually do the processing with one 260 and leave the other for monitor duty?

Forget presets... this is a job for the Wizard...

Set up your 2 inserts

select custom bi-amp tops and stereo subs (2X6)

Next, you can load your amps or custom... it really makes no real difference

select the path you like or leave the default.. that's what I do..

Now, Load the preset, and then hit the [config] button

When in the config mode you will need to use the [shift] and [Ctrl] keys to get the full benefit... but highlight what you want to change(left click) (like the crossover) then right click and from the dropdown menu choose the crossover you want (1X3)

You'll also want to unlink the input modules... right click highlight, left click unlink

you'll also want to do the same for the PEQ's and limiters and delays after the xover, and set up the xover/bandpass for the subs in the same fashion...

You can redistribute the deal as necessary

the right input would then be usable for the aux fed sub input

You can also name the individual outputs and the preset name

Note: the pre delay is great for backing up the FOH to the loudest point on the stage (like the drum monitor) If you fly the mains it's got plenty of delay to align with the subs...

***Note****
    The FH118 subs are specifically designed to be used in a minimum GROUP(BLOCK) of 4 units!!!! 8 would be needed to produce a true 40hz sub array...

(I have OAP as well)

Gadget
  • Options
    I deleted your dual post...
    Gadget
    Moderator...
  • Options
    Gadget, thanks so much for your reply. Still not too clear on the crossover (points) and PEQ's. I apologize, but to be honest with you, I'm not sure how to read the graph for the processor settings that you provided me with . I will put the driveware on my computer and it should be better to work with like you said. Not sure about this, but Is there any way you could send me settings to load/download into the driveware for this? I know that's a lot (don't know if that's possible) but I have been working with this system and it sounds ok right now, but I know it's not to its "fullest". I have 3 gigs this weekend to run sound for and kind of on a time crunch :/ I have auto EQ'd the room and that helped, but the crossover is off a little I'M SURE, no delays, or PEQ's. I know the right PEQ's and crossover settings would make a big difference and then I will Auto- EQ the room last after all of this other stuff is right. Sorry about the confusion and thanks for your answers.
    -Jon
  • Options
    wanted to add that I do understand how to set up the wizard on the 260 as custom. I understand how to use the 260 pretty good, but just need extra help with the crossover (Points) and PEQ's. LF,MF,HPF,LPF....still have a lot to learn and really started to dig into dbx gear and I love it. Just don't know what numbers go with which letters and how far the slope goes over to the left and how far the slope goes over to the right on the crossover. BASICALLY, I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO READ THOSE GRAPHS ON THE EAW WEBSITE. BW,LP,LR. but I do understand what those filters do as octaves. maybe with the driveware those numbers could be perfected. I just do not understand the graph for the settings on EAW website and crunched for time with 3 gigs this weekend. thanks for your time.
    -Jon
  • Options
    I have built a file... I would need your email address...
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    It is a little confusing what (specifically) you need help with.
    By graph, do you mean the chart that lists all the x-over and PEQ settings?
    Are you unsure where these numbers plug in to the 260?
    All the numbers, or just some of them?
    If you are feeling intimidated by this, don't be. It is really quite simple.
    Go custom, bi-amp & custom subs and select the RMX amps you have. Set up the 260 for Hi (cab mid / hi), Mid (cab low), & Low (subs).
    Starting at the top.
    The wizard gives a default +2.6db boost on the x-over gain on the high amp. Not sure if that means that matches the amps outputs or what, but maybe. So open up the x-over and increase the x-over gain of the mids (cab low) +1db. (per chart) Set the Hi gain to +2.6db.
    Open the Mid OUTPUT Delay Module(s). Add 1.1ms of delay (select "seconds).
    Open the x-over module. In the Mid filter (BLUE) set the Hi Pass (HPF) to 35hz (because it's listed on the chart), but since you are using subs change it to 125hz (I like 100hz, but it is EAW's recommendation).
    Set the Hi Slope to L-R 24.
    Still in mid filter (blue) set the Lo Pass (LPF) to 243hz.
    Set the Lo Slope to BW 24.

Open the Hi output PEQ module(s).
    Select "Bell" as the type, because you don't have any shelf requirements listed.
    PEQ module - "ON"
    There are filters listed at 50hz and 76.5hz, but since you are crossed at 100hz / 125hz, it would be moot to put them in. (If you ever use the 660's by themselves, you can set up a different preset slot with these PEQ's.)
    Band 3 Fc (blue) left click on the frequency numbers to the right of the bar slide and type in the frequency (265) (Note: for number above 999, such as 1.3K, you must type 1300) (Note: the 260 will change the value to the nearest value allowed. Example: you enter 657. The 260 changes to 648.)
    Q - Left click on numbers and type in the value shown (3)
    Level - Enter or slide to -6db
    Ingore the bandwidth data on the chart, it is another way of defining the value of "Q", and not used in the 260.

Follow this proccess to complete the other x-over filter and PEQ data entries.

I bet Gadget can give you some good numbers for your OAP's.

See, really easy.
    DRA
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    GADGET!
    Teach a man to fish...
    Give a man a pole...

So unlike you. :shock: :?

DRA
  • Options
    soundguy7soundguy7 Posts: 8
    edited March 2011
    Gadget, my email adress is mac.man30@yahoo.com
    I know more than I did after talking with you. I will look at the file you send me and compare it with the chart on EAW website to see better understanding. How will I go about loading this file that you send me and putting it in the driveware and will this still allow me to do aux fed subs? Thanks for your time and help and sending the file.
    -Jon
  • Options
    Dra, thanks for the info. Yes, I am talking about the chart of all of the Crossover settings and PEQ settings. That def was a big help in understanding what is going on here. Yes, the Q and bandwidth was throwing me off a bit because the 260 does not provide bandwidth settings. (and Q numbers) Like you said, are a little different. Example: the graph on EAW website will say a Q of 2.50 and the 260 will not be able to dial in that number, but the 260 will still be able to get close like you said. Gadget is sending me a file for download because I am in a time crunch for 3 nights of gig this weekend and wanted to be positive things were right...being my first time having the right settings for this setup. I will continue to look over all of the information that you have provided me with. Things do get confusing sometimes, but there is always time to learn and I do trust my ears. Sorry about the confusion and thanks for your help.
    -Jon
  • Options
    So... did you get the file?
  • Options
    Yes Gadget, I got the file. Thanks for the quick reply. I am going to load it tonight. I will let you know if I run into any other problems. You're a life saver. Thanks so much!
    -Jon
  • Options
    Gadget, the file that you sent me really helped me. The aux fed subs are great. Thanks. Will I need to set up auto-leveling along with the auto-EQ or only the auto-EQ? And if so, how would I go about the Auto-level wizard?
    Also, I have peavey 15m 15 floor monitors. Would I need to set a crossover or just a filter for the monitors? And will the monitors need PEQ (and what PEQ frequencies) or only auto-EQ? Any auto-leveling for monitors.....?

PS-Any recommended compressor settings or sub-harmonic settings for this particular set up (house speakers),limiters or compression for house speakers or monitors? Or should I just start with a 2:1 ratio for compression and use my ears?
    -Jon
  • Options
    The only device that has auto level is the DRPA+... the 260 does not have it... if your good with math and have the amplifier specs you can figure out the gain using the figures provided by EAW in the file I sent you. Those are predicated on the fact that all amps are the exact same... you are using amps that are of different output capabilities.

If the mid range were assumed to be -0- the lows would be +5 and the horns -3 for the tops. but... according to the axial sensitivity they are
    106dB 1 meter 1 watt LF
    109 dB MF
    109 dB HF

which is +3 , -0-, and -0-

I don't know.. I guess I'd go by the processor settings...

Anyway, if you take the various amps gain differential (the 850 is 30dB the 1450 is 32dB and the 2450 is 34dB) That's a
    -0-, 2dB and 4dB difference ... or in the example above -2, -0- and +2... so theoretically... the tops would be:
    Lows +3 the mids -0- and the horns -2 for the crossover gains...

The subs are only 99 dB efficient, but I don't think adding 7dB is gonna cut it, especially with the LACK of subs you have...I assume they are together.. I'd suggest that you do so if you haven't already...

Or, as I said you can go to the "Start here thread and use the method there to do the job...

For the floor monitors follow this tutorial:
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2410&p=13144#p13144
    G