Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Just curious

premier1premier1 Posts: 119
edited March 2011 in PA General Discussion
Gadget, Just curious Is it always better to set up a stereo tops and mono subs? I see that suggested alot i run mine both in stereo but now Im thinking of switching to the mono subs, am I losing something doing it in stereo? Thanks !

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I'll answer, then Gadget can answer it correctly.

It depends.

Mono vs stereo in the lower frequencies typically won't matter, unless you have stereo keys and want that separation (left to right) for some reason. I think that most people run mono subs is just because it makes it easier. If you have one amp and a pair of 8 ohm subs and you need more power, or if you only have one 4-ohm sub, etc, etc.

Bottom line I think... it is a convenience that met a neccessity and the laws of physics didn't object. If you want to run stereo...do. If not... don't.

Stereo subs (or better quadraphonic) in a theatre could be very cool.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    :lol::lol::lol: Dra you kill me. :mrgreen:

All right... there's a lot of different ways to look at this... in home theater where you're pretty much fixed in location it's a cool deal, but has no place in live sound or even DJ work...the problem is, if you start having L/R info... what happens if your sitting hard right and the info is only on the left... not as big a problem for LF as for HF, but still...Bass being omnidirectional in nature (unless you steer it... and that takes lots of subs and amps for each one...

This goes double for tops in livesound.. I run stereo... but ONLY the efx are panned, or allowed to be stereo.

The best thing about subs is if you run them TOGETHER... in a MONO block, BUT they can still be run "stereo" because most LF info, the lower you go the more omni directional the sound. It really makes no difference stereo or mono if they are together...

Apart however...they can cause all manner of sonic chaos...

My $.02
    G
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Dra wrote:
    (or better quadraphonic) in a theatre
    You're talking abour "Sensurround" developed by Cerwin Vega and used with such movies as Earthquake.
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Yeah baby! Yeah!