Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion

Pink noise

MctwinsMctwins Posts: 113
Hi

Is the pink noise generator on 260 equal on all bands between 20-20kHz or centered on specific freq.

So if I want to check the levels between each output at low levels is this the pink noise to use?

Thanks

Comments

• DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Mctwins wrote:
    Hi

Is the pink noise generator on 260 equal on all bands between 20-20kHz or centered on specific freq.

So if I want to check the levels between each output at low levels is this the pink noise to use?

Thanks
    I believe white noise is equal on all frequencies...pink noise is tailored to there being more frequencies per octave the higher you go in frequency.
    I'm not sure I understand the application you are asking about.
  • MctwinsMctwins Posts: 113
    Thats the ting, what is the freq at when I run the pink noise in 260. If it is 1000 Hz then this pink noise is not suitible for subs. White noise is then better if one gonna measure level in dB between cabs of loudspeaker.

Or, can I use the pink in 260 to check when the amp is going in to clipping?

Thanks
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    While white noise is equal at all frequencies, it doesn't sound that way to the human ear. Pink noise is adjusted to sound correct. It is a full range signal 20-20K so yes it works well for subs.
    Dennis, thanks you very much for your reply. Know I know.
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Mctwins wrote:
    Or, can I use the pink in 260 to check when the amp is going in to clipping?

Thanks

That takes the board / console out of the loop and will likely give a false sense of security. For your purpose, pink noise should be generated as an input to the entire system, not just the DR outputs and amps.

DRA
    So the best way is on a CD and play it through the entire system. But this require that the pink noise
    can give at least >+20 dBu 20-20k. I have one that only have pink noise that gives -14 dBFS at 1 kHz, but signal is not enough for subs.

Any tips for download a file with pink noise that will do the test for clip point for amps.

Thanks
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I have provided a location of a CD with pink noise and a given crest factor...that is here:
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1202

This track has these power characteristics: Average RMS Power= -12.2dB. Max RMS Power= -8.77. Min RMS Power= -14.9dB. Peak Amplitude= -1.65dB

We Have a poster here that is getting some SR4732A's Would you chime in here:
    viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2795
    thanks
    Gadget
    I think it is the same that I have on my CD. What I need is that the pink noise will do 0 dBFS or even higher. When I run my CD pink noise it only goes to around -5dBFS at 100% volume on preamp. If a clipping point of an amp is let say 18 dBu then this signal is not enough. Hope this help.

Gadget, what about the same rig??? :? But I can assist :wink:

Thanks
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Click on this link if you will:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2795
    G