Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Aux fed sub question

premier1premier1 Posts: 119
edited March 2011 in PA General Discussion
I am trying aux fed subs for the first time, so far it seems very good and the vocal mics are not picking up the low end crap..I just want to make sure i did it right, I took an aux out on my kick chanell and went directly to the crown xti amp and then out to the subs, I have it so the fader controls the volume, bypassing the drpa alltogether since the xti has dsp in it, i just set the tops flat and the filter is out, now to me it sounds very good and punchy quite a difference, so does this sound like its set up the most adventageous way should I still put some type of cutoof for the tops like maybe 60hz or lower? Thanks and sorry for all the questions latley, I know how busy everyone is and not trying to be a pain..anyway thanks ! Bill

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    so does this sound like its set up the most adventageous way

Nope... AUX fed subs are just that... fed from a POST FADER AUX send...You have completely ignored the Bass, Low toms, and any keyboards/synths that might be in the mix.

Yes the XTi amps have plenty of processing to do the job however.

Also, you need to set up a xover so as to minimize the interaction in the xover region, and an HPF to protect the subs...

Gadget
  • Options
    Ok sorry, I wasnt clear enough..what i have is number 4 aux send going to the amp, on the board then all aux sends number 4 knobs corrospond to that, so my kick is on chanel 5, my floor tom on chanel 6 and so on so I ant clarifacation as to how I am ignoring those items?, I turn up the number 4 aux send pot on those chanels i want to be in the subs right? I only mentioned the kick as an example but there are other chanels with the other things you mention used, on the vocal chanels Im not letting anything go in the subs, just the tops so the number 4 pot is turned off on those..On the XTI I have the high end at ( lp )100hz and the lower end at 40hz ( hp ) both filters BW24 and thats really all I did in the amp via band manager also set a -3 db limiter and raised the gain a couple dbs at 50hz... 63hz..80hz...So I am still not clear what I did wrong exactly? when my main mixer fader is all the way down and the chanel fader for example for the kick drum is up only sound comes from the subs, I do still have a click in the tops when the main is raised...so should I also set a hp filter on the drpa? Can you please at the risk of me baing a pain explain a bit better on where I went wrong and how to do it the right way? By the way it was a very old post of yours from 2006 I think that made me want to do this gadget ! you said and I quote " if I had my way I would always run aux fed subs it sounds best" but you also mentioned that it was just to time consuming for you at the time and of course I am paraphrasing, at anyrate I want it to work since it is supposed sound much more punchy, I just need some more direction as to do this properly,one last time I came out the back of the mixer using chanel 4 and into the xti chanel 1 , I am bridging the amp...in the amp I set the filters mentioned above on the board I engadged the low cut and just used the xti eq to boost, the bass, my floor tom and kick etc have there own chanel and I turn up the number 4 pot to mix those in to the subs.. thanks again, Bill
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Not sure what mixer you have ... but typically you would use a POST FADER aux send, that way when you pull the main fader down the sound from the subs will be gone as well..

Thats the only caveat here... you didn't include any other instruments in your example so I "ASSUMED" you were only sending the kick...

G
  • Options
    ok thanks ! btw I have a allen and heath zed mixer, has 4 aux sends...anyway ok thanks again! glad i am doing it right!