Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Indoor method auto-eq questions

tado921tado921 Posts: 16
edited March 2011 in PA General Discussion
I'm having some interesting results so I'm looking for some advice. First, the setup:

Peavey PR12 through a QSC GX5 amp, stereo 2X2 full range configuration with DRPA+. Here is how I setup the RTA mic:

setup1.jpg
setup2.jpg

The auto-eq pass came up with this, which I was able to repeat consistently:

Auto-Eqrun.jpg

I can post the actual numbers if needed.

I then played with the PEQ to flatten and wound up with this:

peqsettings.jpg

F1: 160Hz, -0.5db, S 3 F2: 500Hz, 1.0db, Q 0.73 F3: 6000Hz, 2.5db, S12

The follow up auto-eq pass gives this result:

auto-eqresult.jpg

So, it's flat but everything is boosted 3db except for the dip at 315Hz. I can't seem to dial it out to get everything down to 0db. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Tad

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    1) I agree that it is odd.
    2) How does it sound?
    3) What precision did you use? You are now within +/-1.5db (but boosted).
    4) I think you are good. Flatten the GEQ and only use for room issues when you play.
    5) Do you have a place that you can compare with the outdoor method?

DRA
  • Options
    Thanks Dra!

1) :)
    2) It sounds good to my (untrained) ears. I played some music and turned the PEQ on and off. The difference is subtle but noticeable. I guess the best description is that it sounds more full and dynamic.
    3) Medium (default). I wasn't sure about this one and meant to ask in the OP but forgot. Any thoughts?
    4) I thought so too, but wanted some other opinions.
    5) I will try the outdoor method when it stops raining (GA). This was mostly an exercise to get familiar with the GEQ/PEQ and the dialing in process.

I appreciate your help. :)
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    3) See how it does on High.
    5) What part of GA? Bama land here. North of B'ham a ways. Supposed to be nice tomorrow though the weekend.

DRA
  • Options
    Cool, I'll give it a shot and post results. I'm in Douglasville, west of Atlanta. Probably 2 hrs from B'ham out I-20.
  • Options
    OK, this is interesting: When I run high precision it seems like the PEQ isn't even on. To test I made some big changes in the PEQ settings, but the GEQ stays about the same every time. Weird...makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

I'm going to try it with my monitors and see what happens. More to come...