Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Stereo minijack to 2 xlrs-Pan L&R for stereo?

James85James85 Posts: 63
edited April 2011 in PA General Discussion
When I hook up a computer or ipod to run through my PA I use an mini-jack to two 1/4 inch jacks (into a stereo strip) or a A/V box with two XLR outputs. I had a kid helping me the other night and he suggested I pan the two XLRs channels to L and R. I always left them centered..for music playback. I did not have time to try A-B but I guess he was right..for true stereo playback? But I am not sure. If the stereo recording had some riffs hard L then R for effect...would I still get it with each board channel center-panned?

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    If the system is in fact stereo then panning the inputs will yield stereo output.... however, be the system stereo or mono if the pan controls are centered both channels will be summed... other than some potential cancellations you'll get all the info if the pan controls are centered.
    G
  • Options
    James85James85 Posts: 63
    Thanks. I run a stereo PA and use the pans centered. I would still hear some content panning so I never thought about panning the two channels.
    I suppose I could consult the manual..but...on my A&H GL2400 I have two stereo channels (single fader each, as you know). The channel accepts two 1/4 inch jacks, which I use for ipods. THAT must be why I never had a problem with stereo content when I used one of those stereo channel strips. It is also good for an effects fader.

Thanks-Jim
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    You got it!
    G