Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion

How to replace/switch noisy transformer to battery eliminato

HappyToneHappyTone Posts: 11
edited October 2023 in 200 Series General Discussion
Hello,

To make a store short, I need to replace or switch noisy power transformer. It is a brand new unit with warranty, but I don't have time to wait on tech procedure.

I will gladly switch from 220V transformer to Battery eliminator - that is best option. The unit is 1*6XS. On transformer following is stated:

Manufacturer: Standrad Sucess
HMG-NO: 26-0269Rev.B
MODEL-NO: SA41-222D-0110DF-HMG1
STANDARD: IEC60065
PRIMARY: 240V ~ (50/60Hz) 65 mA
BLUE-BROWN
WITH THERMAL FUSE 115C
SECONDARY: 2x21.9V CT/0.184A ~ 8W
BLUE-WHITE-BLUE
MASTER CONTRACT NO.: 183200

I want preferably to connect a suitable battery eliminator instead of 220V transformer. Please give me some guidance which to buy, as I'm not sure how many Volts & Watts I need to power this beast -1*6XS :)

On its MOBO I could read that it say -15V and +15V but that info i conjunction with info on its transformer (info stated above) makes its cryptic to me.

I will really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    If it is new I bet the place you bought it from would either trade it or loan you one. I hate to see you void the warranty.

DRA
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Looks to be overseas model...I would contact your dealer and get an exact replacement...
    Gadget
  • HappyToneHappyTone Posts: 11
    Dra wrote:
    If it is new I bet the place you bought it from would either trade it or loan you one. I hate to see you void the warranty.
    DRA

I know, but I can't wait 30 days for whole process, I have tight deadline. So I must do this on my own.
    Gadget wrote:
    Looks to be overseas model...I would contact your dealer and get an exact replacement...
    Gadget

I know that I can, but it is not an option because of the time aspect.
    Ok, you are primarily talking to Me, Dra and Dennis, we are users just like you... I can contact DBX for you as I am the MOD here and thats what I do, however, the chance of someone on here having a part for you or knowing where one exists is astronomical...

If you were here in the states I would suggest Digikey...or some other Parts supplier...but over sea's? I have NO Idea... Here in the states I'd call dbx and have one sent out Monday...

Your going to need to find a supplier in YOUR area and then, your chances of finding what dbx uses...slim and none and slim is on vacation...just sayin..

Best regards

Gadget
    Gadget wrote:
    Ok, you are primarily talking to Me, Dra and Dennis, we are users just like you... I can contact DBX for you as I am the MOD here and thats what I do, however, the chance of someone on here having a part for you or knowing where one exists is astronomical...

If you were here in the states I would suggest Digikey...or some other Parts supplier...but over sea's? I have NO Idea... Here in the states I'd call dbx and have one sent out Monday...

Your going to need to find a supplier in YOUR area and then, your chances of finding what dbx uses...slim and none and slim is on vacation...just sayin..

Best regards

Gadget
    Thanks for helping me!

Well my primarly goal is to use battery eliminator instead of 220V transformer. As the unit inside has very good connections for power from transformer, I will disconnect transformer and attach battery eliminator connections. Now the question is: How many Volts do It needs?

Cheers!
    "+15v" and "-15v"? If it were DC, it more standard to say "+15v" and "0v".

What was the unit again?

DRA
    Dra wrote:
    "+15v" and "-15v"? If it were DC, it more standard to say "+15v" and "0v".

What was the unit again?

DRA
    It is 166XS unit. I have done some measurements and the transformer secondary gives 2x22,8 V. It have 3 pins connection so it gives altogether 46V shared for both channels. So I can either buy a new transformer that gives the same, or battery eliminator that gives the same.

?

Cheers.
    You might try posting on an electronics / electrical forum. The 3 "legs" and the "+, -" labeling has me uncomfortible. You won't get 3 connections from a wall wart.

DRA
    Gadget wrote:
    Gadget
    Do you have info which local (within EU) DBX service I can contact instead? Logically, it is best to order replacement transformer part from them, right?

Cheers!
    Ya, see.. the more I look at this the battery eliminator isn't going to supply any where near enough voltage... and your likely to not only void any warranty but damage the unit as well. It's fairly common for the techs to advise changing out the transformer when a unit from Europe comes over here, and likewise one from this side of the pond ends up over there...

If you tell us where you are on Monday I can contact Jason and find out where a suitable part can be acquired from...

That's the best we can suggest since this forum is sparsely populated and were mostly on the USA side of the voltage war... I'm sure my son could help you if it were here since he's an electronics engineer but again, he has no idea whats happening over in 240 volt land with parts.

Gadget
    Gadget wrote:
    If you tell us where you are on Monday I can contact Jason and find out where a suitable part can be acquired from...
    Thanks for helping me! I'm located in Sweden, Stockholm. I will really appreciate if you can point me to nearest service source or supplier of current transformer.
    Cheers!
    Ok, first thing Monday... Right now it's Saturday afternoon.. so check back in a couple days..

In the mean time here is a distributor that should be able to help:

SEPTON ELECTRONICS AB
    UGGLEDALSVAGEN 23 SE-427 40 BILLDAL
    GOTHENBURG SWEDEN
    Tel. 46 31 93 92 70
    Fax. 46 31 91 16 32

Gadget
    Gadget wrote:
    Ok, first thing Monday... Right now it's Saturday afternoon.. so check back in a couple days..

In the mean time here is a distributor that should be able to help:

SEPTON ELECTRONICS AB
    GOTHENBURG SWEDEN
    Tel. 46 31 93 92 70
    Fax. 46 31 91 16 32

Gadget
    No problem, thanks!
  • We can't recommend a modification of any sort here at dbx Technical Customer service so I'd check with the dealer or following distributor in Sweden to have the unit serviced/transformer replaced.

SEPTON ELECTRONICS AB
    GOTHENBURG SWEDEN
    Tel. 46 31 93 92 70
    Fax. 46 31 91 16 32

Thanks,

Jason Mondragon
    dbx Technical Customer Service
This discussion has been closed.