Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Removing Bass from Mains

almendozaalmendoza Posts: 14
edited May 2011 in PA General Discussion
Would moving the Crossover points be the best way to remove more of the Bass from our mains ...? Or should I use the EQ for this ?

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Bass as in frequencies, or bass as in the guitar?

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    Bass as in frequencies, or bass as in the guitar?

DRA

Bass as in guitar ...sorry about that ..

My system seems to be fine as far as my setup goes we just want to remove some or all of the bass guitar from the mains to see if we like the effect... I lost my gear setup in my signature so here it is ..

FOH
    Mackie Mixer 1604VLZ3>DBX Driverack PA (grey face)>XTI 2000 stereo mode (475 watts ) >Yamaha S115V (500 watt PGM)

>XLS 802 Bridge mode > 2 Yamaha SW118 (600 watt PGM)

Monitors
    Off Aux 1 >DBX 131 EQ >XTI 2000 stereo mode Channel 1 has 3 Yamaha SM112V Floor wedges (350 watts each)
    Aux 2 >DOD EQ> Channel 2 has a Harbinger Floor wedge (speaker replaced with Eminence Beta 250 watts )for drummer.
  • Options
    Do it with the channel fader.

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    Do it with the channel fader.

DRA

Yes but anyway to keep to keep what frequencies are left in the subs... this removes it from the mains and subs ? we are going out of the bass amp to the mixer via DI
  • Options
    I thought you wanted it out of the house mix all together. You want to eliminate the bass G. from the tops only?

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    I thought you wanted it out of the house mix all together. You want to eliminate the bass G. from the tops only?

DRA

Yeah ...I looked at my routing on the mixer board can't do it there thought maybe someone had a way to do it software wise in the DRPA...looks like the crossover would do it but how far can I go without compromising the vocals ?
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Man I wish we had more information on just what your system consists of... and just what EXACTLY you are trying to do here... As far as vocals go, I usually highpass them as high as 130 to 150hz on monitor mixes...and mains as well (sometimes)...but that is going to be a thin mix if you go that high.

Gadget
  • Options
    Do you have any other top (full range) speakers? If so you could do a left pan for vocal only and right pan for everything else.

DRA
  • Options
    Ah I see you did post the gear...if you remove it from the tops and not the subs you'll be missing everything in the bass guitar above the sub crossover frequency.. and that would be VERY strange...

if you insist on doing this, why not try the Aux fed sub method? You have 2 post fader sends left..

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1469

That way you could control what goes into the subs and tops separately..

Gadget
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:
    Ah I see you did post the gear...if you remove it from the tops and not the subs you'll be missing everything in the bass guitar above the sub crossover frequency.. and that would be VERY strange...

if you insist on doing this, why not try the Aux fed sub method? You have 2 post fader sends left..

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1469

That way you could control what goes into the subs and tops separately..

Gadget

Thanks Gadget I can always count on you to straighten me out on my silly ideas :D
  • Options
    No problem...Keep us informed on your progress ok?
    G