Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity

Possible to set 2 different "low crossovers"?

cirkatorcirkator Posts: 6
edited June 2011 in PA Connectivity
hi there

we just bought the driverack pa+.
is it possible to set 2 different crossover frequencies for the low outputs?
i want the "left low" output to play a mono signal for our subbass speakers, and the "right low" output to play a mono signal for our kickbass speakers.
so i want different frequencies on both low outputs.
from what ive read it is not possible, only with the driverack 260.
just wanted to know for sure, before i bring it back to the store and upgrade to the 260.

thx in advance

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I would need a bit more info but if your talking only tops, subs and sub bass... you can. You would run dual mono if you want to be able to EQ (GEQ/Auto EQ) each side separately because you will need to duplicate everything in both inputs.

In this case you'd need to have only three elements in your system, tops

(fullrange limited to the specific HPF you set...usually where the low component comes in)

Low outputs will come off the mid outputs

(don't get caught up thinking 1 dimensionally...that the sub outputs can only put out low frequencies, or that the mid outputs can't put out low and hi frequencies as well, simply by manipulating the filter/crossover for that output )

The low sub frequencies would come out of the low outputs. You can specify the low outs to be summed, but both outputs will be live.

What this is represented as in the thought process for the DRPA is stereo bi-amp with subs...(2X6)

The thing is, the crossovers are tied together so what is in the right speaker xover and gain, is also reflected in the left...

So, the scenario goes something like this:

1. Hi outs HPF @ 118hz LR24 (there is no LPF on the DRPA+ high outs)
    2. Mid outputs HPF = 50hz LR24, LPF 118hz LR24
    3. Low outputs HPF = 31.7hz BW18, LPF 50hz LR24

So, from bottom to top, if you feed the L/R outputs of the mixer into the L/R inputs of the DRPA+ you will have 3 separate frequency ranges, and full stereo signal path that you can Auto EQ with one pass...or:

you can set up stereo/dual mono and have stereo as well, but you would need to auto EQ the left channel first, and the right channel second (always)

Is this what you mean? because if your looking to biamp the tops and have bass and low bass you can't do that..with the DRPA+

the 260 can do 6 way mono, (1X6) 5 way stereo ( 2X5) and stereo bi-amp tops and a bass and sub bass output (mono) (2X6) or anything in between.

If your serious about sound, and you want to REALLY get the most out of your system, the 260 is a WORLD away from the DRPA/PA+/PX in features and sound quality. Most of us bought the DRPA not knowing the 260 existed, we upgraded as soon as we could and would do so again no questions asked, but if money is THAT much of an issue the DRPA+ has a LOT of great features... and is meant to have a price point feature set.

The info is all in the FAQ section and the READS ME first section will get your system sounding great if you follow the instructions.

Gadget
  • cirkatorcirkator Posts: 6
    thank you for this lengthy reply.

what you wrote is what we figured out already playing around. but thank you for the detailed info.
    what we would need is a 2 way mono and 2 stereo output setup. Since we play our subbasses mono, then our kickbasses mono.
    then we would need a stereo output for our mids and another stereo output for our high-speakers.
    our system has these 4 seperate speakers on the left and on the right.

so its not possible with the drpa+

you said the 260 can play 6way mono, so i could set up 6 different frequencies on all the 6 outputs, right?
    or for example our needed 4 different frequencies and e.g. use the 2 remaining outputs for a stereo fullrange output for monitor speakers.

to make it easier for your understanding, we are all djs and have our mobile soundsystem
    yes, with the 260 you could set up 6 separate outputs with totally different settings...

If you intend to run stereo you will NOT be able to have a separate monitor feed, HOWEVER you CAN have a monitor feed that has the same content as the mains, but different passband...

I can see why you want the stereo outputs if you are DJ's I too have been a DJ/KJ for more than 30 years...

What you would do is set up an imaginary setup (doesn't really even matter) then go into the "config" mode and modify it...you can do all this in the GUI bu the way, and it's downloadable on this site...and with a .dwp file if you need help I can build one and send it to you in an email... So down load it and play with it, it's easy..

One of the cool things is you can set up outputs 1,2,3 and 4 as the stereo bi-amp tops, and then sum A+B to feed the 2 sub ranges.
    you said the 260 can play 6way mono, so i could set up 6 different frequencies on all the 6 outputs, right?
    or for example our needed 4 different frequencies and e.g. use the 2 remaining outputs for a stereo fullrange output for monitor speakers.

Yes, as long as you realize the mains would need to be mono, you could feed outputs 1,2,3 and 4 from the A input, and outputs 5 and 6 form the B input

G
    edited June 2011
    wow thats everything we need and want. you really know a lot and are very helpful thanks :)
    so the 260 also has the possibilty to connect to a laptop? can you change all parameters in realtime?

i dont know if its allowed to use different brand products here, but if it is, can you help me deciding which controller to buy.
    either the dbx 260 or the xilica xp 4080.
    i like the handling of the dbx better, but the xilica has a usb-slot. it looks like both can be controlled via a laptop.
    i dont think it is possible to "auto-eq" the xilica, which is kind of a setback, but not so important for us.
    on the other side the xp 4080 has 8 outputs.
    both can be purchased for the same amount of money.

difficult decision :?
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    cirkator wrote:
    wow thats everything we need and want. you really know a lot and are very helpful thanks :)
    so the 260 also has the possibilty to connect to a laptop? can you change all parameters in realtime?

i dont know if its allowed to use different brand products here, but if it is, can you help me deciding which controller to buy.
    either the dbx 260 or the xilica xp 4080.
    i like the handling of the dbx better, but the xilica has a usb-slot. it looks like both can be controlled via a laptop.
    i dont think it is possible to "auto-eq" the xilica, which is kind of a setback, but not so important for us.
    both can be purchased for the same amount of money.

difficult decision :?

The 260 connects to a laptop with a null modem serial cable...you would have to purchase the correct serial adapter for your laptop. Also, you can make use of bluetooth or serial to ethernet adapters to set up a network and control wirelessly. Post a link to the Xilica.
    xilica 4080

i know that, thank you, but its way more comfortable with a usb cable
    The USB to serial adapter can be gotten for around $20, the Xillica looks like the clear winner IF the price is the same... but I show a price of $2295... the 260 can be had for under $700... Where are you seeing the for that kind of money?

G
    im also going more in the xilica direction atm....

xilica vs. dbx

edit: where can you get the 260 for 600$??? nice price :shock:
    btw. im from austria
    Northern sound and Lighting...so if the xilica is the same price as the 260 .. no question in my mind.
    G